Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues
19127644

Can I ask for proof of when the contract was breached ( from

Can I ask for proof of when the contract was breached ( from the collection agency) ?
Hello again,

You can ask for proof of the debt under the Fair Debt Collections Act. But they don't have to provide you with that specific information since it is a legal conclusion. In other words, only a court can decide when a breach occurred when the parties differ. If this was a law suit, then your attorney could ask for discovery of all of the documents and proof and depose witnesses to find out what their records show, but at this stage, if just in collections, you can ask for proof of the debt and any fees, and that is it.