How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 109808
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is the closest category I could find for this question.

This answer was rated:

This is the closest category I could find for this question. I was arrested and held for 3 days incorrectly (over a long holiday weekend). When I saw the Judge on monday morning He apologized and stated that he would have given me compensation if I had owed the court back fines but that is all he could offer me for their mistake.

I have been unduly burdened by this and it was a nightmare. I feel I should be compensated. I am disabled and my medication was taken from me and I suffered in excruciating pain the entire time I was incarcerated.

I reside in RI and have contacted lawyers and been told it would cost me about 5k to hire a lawyer to sue the state. From what I have been told I can only collect $1500 a day for wrongful incarceration and that would not even cover the legal fees as well as on my less than 1k a month stipend I cannot afford a lawyer in any case.

How can I make the state pay for their treatment of me. I was brutalized during that time and feel I deserve to be compensated and the system penalized.

It seems that the system can do anything it wants to you if a database is wrong and you must suffer for it's mistakes.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you were wrongfully incarcerated, there are RI General Laws covering this. Particularly:

RIGL § 12-25.2-1. Findings, declarations relative to persons wrongfully convicted.

a) The Legislature finds and declares that innocent persons who have been convicted of crimes and subsequently imprisoned have been frustrated in seeking legal redress and that such persons should have an available avenue of redress over and above the existing tort remedies to seek compensation for the physical injury of wrongful incarceration. The Legislature intends by enactment of the provisions of this act that those innocent persons who can demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that they were mistakenly convicted and imprisoned be able to recover damages against the State.

b) In light of the substantial burden of proof that must be carried by such persons, it is the intent of the Legislature that the court, in exercising its discretion as permitted by law regarding the weight and admissibility of evidence submitted pursuant to this section, may, in the interest of justice, give due consideration to difficulties of proof caused by the passage of time, the death or unavailability of witnesses, the destruction of evidence or other factors not caused by such persons or those acting on their behalf.

RIGL 12-25.2-2. Suit for damages.

Notwithstanding the provisions of any other law, any person convicted and subsequently imprisoned for one or more crimes which he did not commit may, under the conditions hereinafter provided, bring a suit for damages in Superior Court against the Office of the General Treasurer for the physical injury of wrongful incarceration.

RIGL 12-25.2-3. Evidence claimant must establish.

The person (hereinafter titled, "the claimant") shall establish the following by clear and convincing evidence:

a) That he was convicted of a crime and subsequently sentenced to a term of imprisonment, served all or any part of his sentence; and

b) He did not commit the crime for which he was convicted.

RIGL 12-25.2-4. Time to bring suit.

The suit, accompanied by a statement of the facts concerning the claim for damages, verified in the manner provided for the verification of complaints in civil actions, shall be brought by the claimant within a period of two years after his release from imprisonment, or after the grant of a pardon to him; provided, however, that any eligible claimant released or pardoned during the five-year period prior to June 30, 2006, shall have two years from the effective date of this act to file a suit.

RIGL 12-25.2-5. Damages, attorney fees.

a) Damages awarded under this act shall not exceed twice the amount of the claimant's income prior to his incarceration or $ 50,000.00 for each year of incarceration, whichever is greater. The total compensatory award for the physical injury of wrongful incarceration shall not be subject to taxation by the State of Rhode Island.

b) In addition to damages awarded, a claimant may also be awarded educational and social services paid for at state expense.

c) In addition to the damages awarded pursuant to subsection a., counsel for the claimant shall be entitled to receive reasonable attorney fees.

RIGL 12-25.2-6. Noneligibility.

a) A person shall not be eligible to file a claim for damages pursuant to the provisions of this act if the sentence for the crime of which the person was mistakenly convicted was served concurrently with the sentence for the conviction of another crime.

b) A person shall not be eligible to file a claim for damages pursuant to the provisions of this act if the claimant is the recipient of a private bill for compensation for wrongful incarceration

I am surprised you cannot get an attorney to take the case, since the statute provides that they can get the state to pay their fees and not you, so maybe the attorneys you called did not realize that. I am afraid though that no matter whether you file your suit pro se to seek damages or use an attorney, the amount you can collect is limited by the state law and you cannot get any more than that amount because the legislature has set that as a limit.

You need to contact the RI Bar as they have a referral service to civil rights attorneys in the area and also you can seek a civil rights attorney in the same sites used by other attorneys, or

I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. Please consider that I am answering the question or question that is posed in your posting based upon my reading of your post and sometimes misunderstandings can occur. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

OK, I see that this info is for being convicted of a crime I did not commit. I was held for court costs (90 dollars!!!) which I had paid a year prior. Not to mention the fact I had that money in my pocket anyway and they would not accept it.

Thank you for the response, but what you were held for, contempt of court, is treated like a crime under the statute. I agree with you being angry and I understand it, but please understand that all I can do is give you what the RI law provides for and I gave you that above.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So what your saying is that I am SOL?

No, what I am saying is you are entitled to recover and you would be able to file your claim, but you can only make a claim within the limits of what the Smith Hill Gang has put in the law.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 109808
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Law Educator, Esq. and 5 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks alot for your time!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi, I keep getting emails about this question? did I not rate correct or something? Is it spam?


If it is still ongoing I do have one more need.


Do you have a recommendation for a RI lawyer that would take this case or is there a template I can follow to pursue this myself? the RI legal services is worthless here for recommendation lists. I wasted an afternoon with them.

I apologize for emails you are getting. The experts do not send them out and have no control over them as we are independent contractors with the site and they do things without our consent, knowledge or control. Please accept my sincerest apologies.


I cannot make personal referrals as the site rule forbid that, but you can get a local attorney at the same site used by other attorneys, or You are looking for a civil rights attorney.


If you are looking to do this yourself, you need to go to the Superior Court library on Benefit St. and ask the librarian there for the form disc or books and look for a sample complaint form for you to write your own complaint to file with the court.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions