Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

My husband and I booked a trip with a travel agent to travel

My husband and I booked a trip with a travel agent to travel to Punta Cana, Dominican Republic in November. He made a mistake when booking our flights, and I asked him to please fix it. Instead of fixing the mistake, he is now threatening to cancel our trip in its entirety, which means we would lose the deals we got since we booked early. I contacted the airlines and resort, but they said he has every right to cancel our reservation, even without our consent, because he is the one who booked the trip. I really don't want our trip to be cancelled and have asked the agent to please not do that, but he refuses to respond. What can I do?

JD 1992 :

Hello, and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today.

JD 1992 :

As far as preventing him from cancelling the trip, there is no way short of a court order to absolutely prevent it.

JD 1992 :

You could hire a local lawyer to write him a letter advising him of the repercussions that could be expected if he does cancel the trip.

JD 1992 :

In addition, writing this letter could also serve as evidence in your favor if he does cancel.

JD 1992 :

At that point you would be able to sue him for any extra expenses you incur as well as attorney's fees and costs.

JD 1992 :

Your attorney could also send letters to the resorts and airlines and explain to them that if they allow him to cancel reservations which were made and paid for then they would be a part of any lawsuit as well.

JD 1992 :

This would be the best and least expensive way to protect yourselves.

JD 1992 :

The website is showing you are offline so I will exit so I can assist other customers. Please feel free to ask any follow up questions that you have in this thread. However, please do not issue a rating until our interaction is complete and all of your questions have been answered.

Customer:

He's saying he's going to cancel right away tomorrow morning, though. So I don't have time to have a lawyer write a letter.

Customer:

Help!

Customer:

HELLO?

JD 1992 :

I'm here.

JD 1992 :

I was assisting another customer.

JD 1992 :

The only way to absolutely prevent him from cancelling the reservations is to get a lawyer to go to court first thing tomorrow and ask the court to issue an injunction preventing him from doing so.

JD 1992 :

If he does cancel then then you can rebook through someone else and sue him for any additional costs you incur in doing so.

Customer:

OK. Is there any other way? I don't even have a lawyer. I've never needed one before.

JD 1992 :

No, unfortunately there is no other way. No one other than a court has the right or power to prevent him from doing as he pleases.

Customer:

OK. Well thanks for your answer.

JD 1992 :

You should be able to find a lawyer pretty easily, you can go to www.lawyers.com and look for one in your area that does Civil Litigation or Consumer Law.

Customer:

OK. Great.

JD 1992 :

However, if you can get in to see a lawyer early enough tomorrow they should be able to do a letter in just a few minutes that will protect you.

JD 1992 :

Based on past experiences, once you get the lawyer faxed or emailed to him then he is extremely unlikely to continue causing problems.

JD 1992 :

Sorry, it should have said ..."once you get the letter faxed or emailed..."

Customer:

No problem. Thank you very much

JD 1992 :

Anything else I can answer for you?

Customer:

I don't think so.

JD 1992 :

I'm sorry I couldn't give you more options, but they just don't exist.

Customer:

That's alright. Thanks again

Thank you very much for the Positive Rating. Please come back and visit us if you have any new questions and feel free to ask for me by placing “FOR JD 1992” in the subject line or as the first words of your question and I will pick up as soon as I see it.