Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.

We just purchased a used van at a dealership as is. We brought

Customer Question

We just purchased a used van at a dealership as is. We brought it cash out ...
Within 24 hours the transmission went bad. Is there anything we can do or nothing because I brought it as is. I live in the state of VA.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Do you have any reason to believe the dealer made misrepresentations to you or engaged in deceptive practices to induce you to purchase the van?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On their online ad ( which they took it off) they said the van runs good and it was checked out by their auto mechanic to be in good running condition. They said that in person as well. We only owned it for 24 hours and it still have the dealer plates before it broke down. Even though I signed as is but they checked the Warrantiy box and limited warranty box was checked as well.
Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying that for me, Mike.

Where you purchase a vehicle "as is", you typically assume the risk that repairs may be necessary. However, it is a violation of state law for the dealer to make misrepresentations with regard to the condition of the vehicle, so if there is any evidence they should have known of the transmission problem, that could provide you with a basis to pursue damages for the necessary repairs.

The state also has a Motor Vehicle Dealer Board which handles consumer complaints against dealers. You may wish to file a complaint against the dealer with that agency as well as the BBB in an attempt to resolve this matter without having to incur the costs of litigation. While you may not have a solid claim if you cannot prove what misrepresentations were made, if the dealer wishes to preserve its reputation, they will normally work to resolve this matter to your satisfaction.

Here is a link which provides contact information for the state agency to file a complaint:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Tina replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.