Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
4460311

Colorado Springs - My Car Dealer wants me to come in and sign

Customer Question

Colorado Springs - My Car Dealer wants me to come in and sign my title over to them for my trade-in because I signed in the wrong box. Issue is that I want the car back, which is still legally mine. They said they sold it on the 28th of June to t family in the local area. They also say that I signed a letter stating I would guarantee the title transfer to them. They said the car is legally mine, but ethically theirs. I told them I would write a check for the trade-in value. What is the chance of getting the car back?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Why do you wish to regain possession of the vehicle? Has the dealer breached your agreement with them in some manner?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I am keeping our new car and would like the old one back. We are a family of 10 and the old car would allow us to reduce wear and tear on our other vehicle. The dealer did not breach the contract, but did get an excellent deal on the trade-in. Trade-in was $3000, but was worth $5300 in research I did after the fact. My fault. Additionally, my in-laws blew their transmission and needs $9000 in repairs, so the other option would be to give this van to them instead of loaning them money. I don't have a leg to stand on do I?

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Brisan, and thank you for clarifying the situation for me.

No, you don't appear to have a leg to stand on legally I'm afraid since the dealer has not breached the contract with you and you did sign a document agreeing to transfer title of the trade-in to them. Therefore, while you currently are the owner of record of the vehicle, the dealer has a contractual right to the title and if you breach it by failing to sign the title over to them, they can sue you for their damages, including the profits they lost from the sale of the trade-in to the other buyer.

I'm sorry, but it would not be wise, from a legal standpoint, to refuse to sign over the title to the vehicle at this point.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: 17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.