Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.

I enrolled at American flyers Pilot school in 2006, during

I enrolled at American flyers Pilot school in 2006, during my schooling the location closed down. The next closest location was aXXXXXeach way and although I tried it was just too hard financially and time wise. Originally they said they would work with me and fly up to pick me up to train, but every time I asked they never gave me a definite answer. They have my remainder of financial aid still in their account 7 years later and I was recently sued for the full amount even though I never finished my schooling. Is there any way I could sue to get my money (or partial) refunded as they closed and never made any effort to finish up and never returned the balance?

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Have you responded to the lawsuit they filed against you? In which court did they file the suit?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was the financial aid company that sued me, not the school. The school held on to the money and didn't return it to the financial aid company. The amount was $10,000 of the school loan which totaled over $50,000. The financial aid company sued me for the original loan amount plus interest and fees. I was wondering if I can sue them for the entire loan amount to repay my student loan company back since they closed up the location and didn't make any effort to either return my money or work with me to get my schooling done without wasting my time and money. Or can I only get the $10,000 they held on to (with interest of course, I am paying around 9% on my student loan)

I see. Thank you for providing this additional information.

Since you are being sued by the lender, I would join the school in the lawsuit as a co-defendant alleging that they owe the lender at least for the balance you did not use of the loan following the closure of the campus you were going to. They should be responsible for that much of the loan since you were unable to attend because of their actions and would have otherwise used the proceeds of the loan.

It really would be best to retain a local attorney to represent you in this matter since this is not a straight-forward case and joining a defendant is not a simple matter. It would be the proper course of action under these circumstances typically if you wish to avoid having a judgment against you for the balance of the loan.

Here is a link to the state bar association's referral service if you need an attorney referral:

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

So would I have a chance to get more than just the amount they kept, since I feel they wasted a portion of it. When you fly you have to have current maps, charts, etc which is updated every few months so because I wasn't going as often because of the closing, I had to spend quite a bit on constantly buying new materials, also they kept "refreshing" me constantly because if you don't fly on a regular basis (weekly) you have to constantly refresh to make sure you remember everything. I feel alot of my money went towards this costing me double what it should have cost to get to the point I did. Now that its been 5 years since I flew, I may have to refresh quite a bit and feel it would eat up the remainder of what I have there without being able to finish. I have my private pilots license, trying to get my commercial to be able to be employed as a pilot.

Hello again,

Yes, I would request that the additional monies you will have to spend to retake some of the classes/flying time should be paid by the school as well since they closed in the middle of your course. Those damages would be foreseeable by the school, so I would demand reimbursement for those costs as well, yes.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.