Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing for over 20 years and handled many cases and trials for consumers.
11068102

We booked our wedding for Oct 19 of this year and secured our

We booked our wedding for Oct 19 of this year and secured our vendors with deposits. My fiancé just heard that his orders are being changed and he will not be back in the states until march. He is currently stationed in Korea. We have no choice but to move our wedding to April. We would like to keep all our current vendors and don't want our deposits back. We just want to move our wedding to April. The venue does have space available in April but is giving us a hard time with the change. Is there a way by law to get our deposit back or move the wedding out without penalty?

JD 1992 :

Hello and thank you for contacting Just Answer. I am an expert here and I look forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification.

JD 1992 :

You would have to review the contract to see if there is an "out" in there.

JD 1992 :

The law itself doesn't provide a method that requires someone in a case like this to move the date.

JD 1992 :

The reasoning is that the owner of the venue would have then "lost" the revenue for the date you booked if they are unable to get the place rented out for that date.

JD 1992 :

While the law does allow for certain things to be done due to military "holdovers", such as court dates or employment, there is no provision made for situations like yours.

JD 1992 :

I am truly sorry to give you what I am sure is bad news, but please understand that it would be unfair to you (and very unprofessional of me) to provide you with anything less than an completely honest response. However, if your concerns were not directly addressed, then please let me know, and I will be happy to clarify my answer.