Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
4460311

Bought a car on April 24, 2013 and havent received my title

Customer Question

Bought a car on April 24, 2013 and haven't received my title or tags. I have been riding temporary tags since then and its been almost 3 months. I contacted the DMV police about it but thinking about taking it even further. They sold me a car and lied about the mileage on the bill of sale. The bank who financed me also has sent me a letter due to not receiving a title and noted they would increase my interest rate to the higher end if they don't receive it. Is there anything I can do legally as far as taking the car back or taking it to court?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Did you purchase the vehicle from a dealer or individual? Do you know why they have been unable to supply you with the title to the vehicle? How much did you pay for the vehicle? What was the response of the police when you reported this?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

A dealer, not sure why their unable to come with my title. I paid 12,900 for the vehicle. DMV investigator told me that they've received multiple complaints recently about the same issue. I got a loan from Pentagon Federal Credit Union and they're telling me I'm stuck with repaying a loan but what about if I haven't received my title can't I get out of this loan somehow?

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Baron, and thank you for clarifying the situation for me.

Since the dealer has been unable to provide you with title to the vehicle, they are in breach of your sales agreement and that would typically support a cause of action against them for damages you have sustained as a result of their breach.

There are a few options to resolve this situation. It would not cost you anything to file complaints with the BBB and state consumer protection agency. If the dealer wishes to protect their reputation, they will work to resolve the matter through those processes normally.

If they do not, then it is likely you would need to retain a local consumer protection or contracts law attorney to communicate a demand to the dealer or legal action will follow. You would typically be entitled to any costs you have incurred as a result of their breach and they would have to take back the vehicle or compensate you for any costs to obtain a clear title.

If they wish to avoid a lawsuit, a written demand from an attorney will often be effective in resolving such matters.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: 17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Thank you very much for your positive rating of my service. It has been my pleasure to assist you and I hope you will ask for me should a future legal need arise.

If you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JustAnswer, please consider scoring me a 9 or 10. It benefits my ability to assist you and other customers, and would be tremendously appreciated.

Thanks again and all the best to you.

Note: Please feel free to request me if you have future legal questions by typing your new question in the question box on my profile page. Here is a link to that page, which you can bookmark or add to your favorites: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-tina/. I look forward to hearing from you again should the need arise.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I filed with the BBB but not the state consumer protection agency. What do I need to do to file a complaint with them also?

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Baron.

I would be happy to provide that for you if you tell me in which state you reside and in which state you purchased the vehicle? Thank you.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Virginia and Virginia

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. You would typically file a complaint with the state Attorney General's office. Here is a link to their site to file the complaint:

http://www.ag.virginia.gov/Consumer%20Protection/Where_to_File.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What did you find out?

Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, Baron.

What did I find out regarding what? I'm not sure what you are referring to.