Yes, they just took the first months payment of $159.30.
Attached is the letter I sent to her and her response letter. Today she took another payment of $159.30 from my account.
I am not able to attach the documents and send them.
Here is a copy of the letter I sent her.
San Clemente Boot Camp’s Membership Contract is in violation of California Civil Code 1812.85, please see the highlighted section of the Civil Code and copy of my contract attached. Based on this violation, I’m within my rights to cancel my contract.
Please cancel my membership effective immediately and notify me that you have done so within one week, otherwise I will take necessary action. Associated charges will no longer be accepted by my bank.
Thank you for your immediate cooperation with this matter.
CALIFORNIA CIVIL CODE § 1812.85 : California Code - Section 1812.85
(a) Every contract for health studio services shall provide that performance of the agreed-upon services will begin within six months after the date the contract is entered into. The consumer may cancel the contract and receive a pro rata refund if the health studio fails to provide the specific facilities advertised or offered in writing by the time indicated. If no time is indicated in the contract, the consumer may cancel the contract within six months after the execution of the contract and shall receive a pro rata refund. If a health studio fails to meet a timeline set forth in this section, the consumer may cancel the contract at any time after the expiration of the timeline. However, if following the expiration of the timeline, the health studio provides the advertised or agreed-upon services, the consumer may cancel the contract up to 10 days after those services are provided.
(b)(1) Every contract for health studio services shall, in addition, contain on its face, and in close proximity to the space reserved for the signature of the buyer, a conspicuous statement in a size equal to at least 10-point boldface type, as follows:
“You, the buyer, may cancel this agreement at any time prior to midnight of the fifth business day of the health studio after the date of this agreement, excluding Sundays and holidays. To cancel this agreement, mail or deliver a signed and dated notice, or send a telegram which states that you, the buyer, are canceling this agreement, or words of similar effect. The notice shall be sent to, (Name of health studio operator) at (Address of health studio operator).”
(2) The contract for health studio services shall contain on the first page, in a type size no smaller than that generally used in the body of the document, the following: (A) the name and address of the health studio operator to which the notice of cancellation is to be mailed, and (B) the date the buyer signed the contract.
(3) The contract shall provide a description of the services, facilities, and hours of access to which the consumer is entitled. Any services, facilities, and hours of access that are not described in the contract shall be considered optional services, and these optional services shall be considered as separate contracts for the purposes of this title and Section 1812.83.
(4) Until the health studio operator has complied with this section, the buyer may cancel the contract for health studio services.
(5) All moneys paid pursuant to a contract for health studio services shall be refunded within 10 days after receipt of the notice of cancellation, except that payment shall be made for any health studio services received prior to cancellation.
(c) If at any time during the term of the contract, including a transfer of the contractual obligation, the health studio eliminates or substantially reduces the scope of the facilities, such as swimming pools or tennis courts, that were described in the contract, in an advertisement relating to the specific location, or in a written offer, and available to the consumer upon execution of the contract, the consumer may cancel the contract and receive a pro rata refund. The consumer may not cancel the contract pursuant to this subdivision if the health studio, after giving reasonable notice to its members, temporarily takes facilities out of operation for reasonable repairs, modifications, substitutions, or improvements. This subdivision shall not be interpreted to give the consumer the right to cancel a contract because of changes to the type or quantity of classes or equipment offered, provided the consumer is informed in the contract that the health studio reserves the right to make changes to the type or quantity of classes or equipment offered and the changes to the type or quantity of classes or equipment offered are reasonable under the circumstances.
(d)(1) If a contract for health studio services requires payment of one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) to two thousand dollars ($2,000), inclusive, including initiation fees or initial membership fees, by the person receiving the services or the use of the facility, the person shall have the right to cancel the contract within 20 days after the contract is executed.
(2) If a contract for health studio services requires payment of two thousand one dollars ($2,001) to two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500), inclusive, including initiation fees or initial membership fees, by the person receiving the services or the use of the facility, the person shall have the right to cancel the contract within 30 days after the contract is executed.
(3) If a contract for health studio services requires payment of two thousand five hundred one dollars ($2,501) or more, including initiation fees or initial membership fees, by the person receiving the services or the use of the facility, the person shall have the right to cancel the contract within 45 days after the contract is executed.
(4) The right of cancellation provided in this subdivision shall be set out in the membership contract.
(5) The rights and remedies under this paragraph are cumulative to any rights and remedies under other law.
(6) A health studio entering into a contract for health studio services that requires a payment of less than one thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500), including initiation or initial membership fees and exclusive of interest or finance charges, by the person receiving the services or the use of the facilities, is not required to comply with paragraph (1), (2), or (3).
(e) Upon cancellation, the consumer shall be liable only for that portion of the total contract payment, including initiation fees and other charges however denominated, that has been available for use by the consumer, based upon a pro rata calculation over the term of the contract. The remaining portion of the contract payment shall be returned to the consumer by the health studio.
I sent this letter after I tried talking to her in person and via email. She originally offered me (via email) a free 30 day trial and if I still wanted to leave at the end of the 30 days, I would be able to. I declined and sent the civil code letter after speaking with an attorney friend.
This is the letter she sent in response, dated July 3, 2013:
I am responding to your letter dated 6-17-13 as well as your written formal cancellation request, in which you stated your intention to terminate your Membership. On advice of our legal counsel, I am informing you that you do not have an at-will termination right because you paid your dues and enjoyed the clubs privileges during the cancelation period prescribed by law, and well after that period. Regardless of any technical defects that may exist in our form contract, any attempt to cancel prior to the expiration of the term of agreement will be met with formal collections actions, as permitted by law.
That said, I am willing to save you the expense and credit rating impairment of formal collections activity by offering you the following settlement:
You pay the sum of $769.50 which represents 50% of your remaining balance that is $1593.
Your membership will be cancelled immediately upon agreement of our settlement.
You agree to maintain the terms of this settlement in strict confidence and that if you breach the confidentiality provision you shall pay liquidated damages of $2000.
If the terms of this are acceptable, please sign below and send a check or other method of payment. If I have not received this letter with your signature and payment by August 1, 2013, I will have no choice but to commence a formal collections process against you.
I've already cancelled the account and notified the bank, they are attempting to refund today's charges. Are there form letters available somewhere that I can use to let her know I will sue to enforce my right to cancel the contract, and for a refund of my previously paid membership fees and court costs if she doesn't terminate my contract? Is there a service I can hire to write and send these letters and prepare for small claims court on my behalf?
DISCLAIMER: Answers from Experts on JustAnswer are not substitutes for the advice of an attorney. JustAnswer is a public forum and questions and responses are not private or confidential or protected by the attorney-client privilege. The Expert above is not your attorney, and the response above is not legal advice. You should not read this response to propose specific action or address specific circumstances, but only to give you a sense of general principles of law that might affect the situation you describe. Application of these general principles to particular circumstances must be done by a lawyer who has spoken with you in confidence, learned all relevant information, and explored various options. Before acting on these general principles, you should hire a lawyer licensed to practice law in the jurisdiction to which your question pertains.
The responses above are from individual Experts, not JustAnswer. The site and services are provided “as is”. To view the verified credential of an Expert, click on the “Verified” symbol in the Expert’s profile. This site is not for emergency questions which should be directed immediately by telephone or in-person to qualified professionals. Please carefully read the Terms of Service (last updated February 8, 2012).