LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

Does Oklahoma law allow me to rescind a contract for services

Does Oklahoma law allow me to rescind a contract for services within 30 days?

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.

LegalGems :

What kind of service did this contract involve?

Customer:

A deep scaling dental cleaning. About one-half completed. Very unprofessional and questionable practices,Costly ($800)

LegalGems :

OK; so there would be 2 options - to sue for professional negligence and request damages - i.e. the amount paid for the service; or sue for breach of contract. A breach can be either material or immaterial. If it is so egregious as to go to the very heart of the matter, the breach is generally considered material, and generally the plaintiff is compensated in the form of reimbursing any monies paid.

LegalGems :

In order to successfully bring an action, it would be best to get a dentist or a hygenist's statement, stating that the deep cleaning was not done according to satisfactory standards.

LegalGems :

You can do this in small claims.

LegalGems :

Here are some relevant codes: http://law.justia.com/codes/oklahoma/2006/os15.html - for example, see section 1559 constructive fraud.

Customer:

Should I first give them the option to settle on a reduced charge (contracted for $200 monthly) against my checking account?

LegalGems :

If you feel that you did in fact receive some benefit, that would be the equitable thing to do. Presumably you received no more than $400 in benefits since the treatment was only half completed. You can negotiate that amount down based on your contention that the work was substandard.

I wanted to be sure and thank you for using JA/Pearl.

I hope you found the information I provided useful.

If you would like to request me for your future legal inquires, please put TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question, and I will do my best!
Take care.

P.S. Thank you kindly for the very generous bonus - it is much appreciated!