Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice

I would like to know what is required for an MD from Austria

I would like to know what is required for an MD from Austria to practice medicine in the U.S.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you.

It is not simply a question of practicing in the US as EACH state has their own licensing requirements. That is, each state has their own requirements of education to apply for a license. And just because your are an internist in CA does not mean you can automatically apply for a job in NY. So the first step is to contact the state that you are interested in practicing in to determine the license requirements.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I specified this is in regards XXXXX XXXXX York state. Please give me the appropriate contact information so I can get the specifics from them.

Thank you.

Start with this site:

Note, New York licensed physicians must have also completed a minimum of one year of postgraduate training in an approved residency program; graduates of unaccredited/unregistered medical schools must complete three years of residency training and pass a proficiency exam. In addition, licensed physicians pass a State-approved licensing examination.