Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction

Two years ago I let a friend borrow $2,000.00 she said her

Two years ago I let a friend borrow $2,000.00 she said her ex owed her money & she couldn't pay her mortgage. She said he was selling his Harley & would give me money in 2 weeks. I have only received $400. my husband had it all saved on text & then lost his phone. Can I still take her to small claims court? I do have witness that heard her say she will pay us back.

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Sorry for any confusion. I was having a keyboard problem.

Yes, you have valid cause of action against her.

First, a statute of limitations is a law which places a time limit on pursuing a legal remedy in relation to wrongful conduct. After the expiration of the statutory period, unless a legal exception applies, the injured person loses the right to file a lawsuit seeking money damages or other relief.

The statute of limitations for breach of contract in NJ Contracts: 6 years.

Verbal agreements are valid and binding contracts given the facts and circumstances you stated.

Can I still take her to small claims court? I do have witness that heard her say she will pay us back.

Yes, that's great.

You must prove through evidence (verbal testimony is valid evidence) that:

1) there was a verbal agreement

2) you performed your obligation - loaned them the monies

you can do this by testimony or showing evidence of the bank transactions

3) that she breached the agreement

4) damages - you state what the balance owed is

That is more than enough to win in court.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!