Law Pro, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction

I have a 2-year contract with DirecTV. Ive had nothing but

I have a 2-year contract with DirecTV. I've had nothing but problems with their satellite service and have found it to be unreliable. They advertise 99.4% reliability. They have a $20/month fee for early termination ($360 for me). Can I get out of this contract without paying such a fee?

Welcome to JustAnswer! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete excellent answer for you.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm going to assist you with your question.

Please bear with me if you believe my answer isn’t coming fast enough because I’m also working with other customers too. I apologize for any seemingly late response.

Do have documentation about the many problems you have had and contacted them about?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No. DirecTV records all calls.

How often have you complained of the service?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

On the order of 10.

When did their service start?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

January 2013

There is no easy way about this.

Yes, you can notice them formally that they have breached the contract - their service is bad, the picture quality not good, that you constantly have problems getting a connection, etc., etc.

You don't have to accept and pay their $20.00 monthly early termination fee.

You should contact your credit card company and or bank and stop their ability to charge your account for payment.

Then if they send you notices and threaten filing a negative on your credit report file suit against them in small claims court for breach of contract spelling out to the judge why they are in breach of the contract.

You would not be the first to file suit against Direct TV for breach of contract because of the many problems with their reception, breakdowns, faulty equipment, poor customer service, etc., etc.

But that is the only way to legally void the contract if they threaten to place a negative on your credit report is to file suit in small claims.

I would go to court with an itemization of problems, approximate contact dates to Direct TV and state that the problems were not corrected or only temporarily corrected.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you. If you have any further questions on this issue please contact me again.