Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer
26798026

I bought a used car a year ago and also purchased an

Customer Question

I bought a used car a year ago and also purchased an extended 3 year warranty. My car has been in the shop 6 times now for the same problem in the last 6 months. Does the lemon law apply to me here?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 4 years ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

What state was the vehicle purchased in? Do you know how many miles were on the car when you bought it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I bought the car in Virginia and it had about 40k miles

Thank you.

Virginia's Lemon Law applies to issues that arise within 18 months after the vehicle is first purchased by a consumer. If the vehicle was more than 1.5 years old when you purchased it, the law unfortunately wouldn't protect you.

For new vehicles, a manufacturer may be required to replace a vehicle if it has to be repaired three times to fix the same problem and the same problem continues, or if the vehicle cannot be driven because of repairs for more then 30 days. So, you could have a claim, but only if the car is less than 18 months old. Older vehicles are not covered.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.