Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

return of a used vehicle in 72 hr.

Customer Question

return of a used vehicle in 72 hr.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

In your contract of sale did it have a provision in that contract stating you could cancel the contract and return the vehicle within 3 days?

Just to make sure, are you asking that if you bought a used car do you have any legal right to return it within 72 hours (buyer's remorse law) in MO?

Is there something actually mechanically wrong with the vehicle?

Did you receive a written warranty with the purchase?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Have learned that I will not be able to make the payments.

No provision in the contract for returning the vehicle within 3 days.

Thank you for your response.

I am very sorry to hear this, but legally there is no 3 day right to rescission in MO for a car purchase unless the contract itself states you had 3 days to cancel. Legally, under MO law, once you sign a contract for purchase of the vehicle that contract is legally binding and the alleged "3 day right to rescission" or "buyer's remorse" law is mythical for these types of sales. The 3 day right to rescind has been taken by people to mean they can cancel every and any purchase within 3 days, but that is not so. The 3 day right to rescission in MO is limited to door to door, unsolicited type sales and not sales where the customer intentionally goes to the seller and makes a purchase.

I am afraid that if you discovered after the fact you cannot afford it, you are going to have to try to negotiate with the dealer to get them to agree to cancel the sale, but there is no statutory right I am afraid to insist legally they do so.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.