Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I signed a check that was a refund over to Lowes. Am I entitled

I signed a check that was a refund over to Lowes. Am I entitled to a copy of the check by law. Do they have to provied a copy and if they don't what recourse do I have. I live in Maine
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you wanted a copy of the check you had to make a copy of that check before you cashed it. Once the check is signed over to the third party and they cash the check the only way to get a copy of the check is ask the person who actually issued the check if they can get a copy from their bank for you. If they refuse to get a copy of the check from their bank for you, there is no statutory right to demand the check and the copy would only be obtained by you getting a subpoena as part of some lawsuit.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I signed the check and it was still in the store managers hands readily available for him to copy and yet he refused. Is there anything I can do in that case? He emailed me this morning and said he needed my license in order to process it. Should I insist he make a copy for me before I give him my license? He has already put the credit back on my Lowes card. Can he leagally take the credit off without my signature. Please advise

Thank you for your response.

The manager had no legal obligation to do so though and there is no legally imposed duty or statute mandating him to do so (if he wanted to be nice he could have done so voluntarily. If you wanted a copy, then while it was in your possession you should have made a copy.

At this point if you do not provide them the information needed to cash the check they can take the credit off of your card, but you have some negotiation here as well. You tell him that you would be glad to cooperate with him unlike he was nice to you when you asked him for a copy of the check. Tell him if he makes you a copy of the check for your records you will provide him the copy of the license. If he refuses, then tell him you will call corporate Lowes and report him for not getting the proper information when he took the check in the first place and then you will send corporate the copy of the license so they know about the error he made.

However, if you are nice about it instead of threatening most times a reasonable manager will give you the copy when you explain you need it for your records.

If you refuse to cooperate completely, then Lowes does not need your signature to remove the charge if they cannot properly process the check you gave them. Ultimately you will need to give them a copy of your license if they need it to process the check, but you can nicely use it to negotiate to get the copy you are seeking if they even still physically have the check at the store as it may have already been sent to corporate and in that case you would have to ask them for a copy.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.