Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I made a contract with Sprint for internet service the equipment

Customer Question

I made a contract with Sprint for internet service the equipment they sent me never worked I forgot to send the equipment back now they are billing me $455.00 I found the equipment but they still want me to pay such amount, the contract was in 2012. I want to send the equipment back, but I still have to pay according to them, Is that legal?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

I am afraid that this is governed by the terms of the contract you signed with Sprint. You need to review that contract, since it does contain a clause about return of equipment within a certain period of time and failure to do so is breach of contract which entitles them to recover the damages that are specified in the contract, equipment costs. Legally, this is indeed a breach of contract and you would have to call and negotiate with supervisors (not the lowly customer service people) to arrange for a return of the equipment in exchange for them clearing the charges from your account, but if they refuse to agree as it is outside of the contractual return period you agreed upon, I am afraid it is legal for them to pursue you for the costs of the equipment pursuant to the contract you signed.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.