Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I co-signed with my granddaughters boyfriend at the bank for

I co-signed with my granddaughter's boyfriend at the bank for him to buy a car. I paid the initual insurance premium and bought the tag, which he was supposed to pay me back for and hasn't. The tag is due again. He never paid the insurance premium after that first payment so the bank added insurance to the loan which was comprehensive only, of course. He has been behind on payments almost since the beginning. He is so far behind they tried to repo the car but he hid it and they could not find it. So I have had to pay the notes, repo fee and late fees to keep them from sueing and putting a lein on my property. I could completely pay the loan off with cash. The loan and title is made out to us as his name OR mine. We are in MIssissippi. Is there something I could do to get the car away from him.
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
The loan and title is made out to us as his name OR mine. We are in MIssissippi. Is there something I could do to get the car away from him.
.
Absolutely, since the title is made out to you or him, you could take physical possession of the vehicle at any time if you can find it and prevent him from having it. Since it states "or" on the title, you could then sell it to someone to get most of your money back.
.
Then you could sue him in small claims court for any payments you have had to pay for the tags, insurance, or payments if the agreement was for him to do so.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

Thanks so much for the positive rating and generous bonus, it is very much appreciated!

.

It was my pleasure to work with you and help with your question. Please feel free to ask for me if you need help with anything in the future and I will do my level best to help or get you to someone who can.

.