LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
63726236

i have been receiving harassing letters from a legal case that

i have been receiving harassing letters from a legal case that was thrown out of court 20 years ago. The letters are getting more and more agressive. I am in Utah. What can i do. The letters are from Nevada
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.

LegalGems :

I am sorry to hear of this. What do you mean it was thrown out -was it dismissed with or without prejudice, or was a default judgment entered?

LegalGems :

Can you also provide information as to who is sending the letters i.e. the plaintiff?

Customer:

i was involved in a sexual abuse case that supposedly occured in 1977. It was taken to trial in Nevada in 1991 and the Nevada supreme court overturned the lower courts conviction because of the statute of limitations. The father of the victim (80 years old) has been send me harrassing letters for 5 years. He is also sending letters to my place of employment Now he is sending letters to everyone in the neighborhood. The alleged victim is now 50 years old. Someone is going to get hurt if these letters continue- i am getting threats from neighbors. I have no criminal record and i am NOT on any sex offenders list.

LegalGems :

I am sorry to hear of this situation. In situations such as this, it is important that the recipient of the letters not take matters into their own hands, as emotions can be very high in situations such as these. Are the letters requesting money - i.e a settlement?

Customer:

no just harrassment- I WONT take matters into my own hands but i will defend myself and my property

Customer:

he has sent out over 75 letters to neighbors

LegalGems :

You could have a civil (and criminal) lawsuit for harassment, and also a civil lawsuit for defamation. The first step in such a case is to send a "cease and desist" letter. However, since they sent a letter to your employer, it is possible that you are already suffering damages, which a cease and desist letter won't rectify. In such situations, generally a lawsuit is initiated - and the possible results include injunctions (a court order stating forbidding the defendant from sending other letters), a recantation ( a letter to all recipients advising them that the statements are recanted) and damages suffered by the plaintiff.

Customer:

do i contact the police or an lawyer?

Customer:

or the postal inspector?

LegalGems :

I would suggest that you contact a lawyer, unless you fear that the person sending the letters is threatening your person/property. There was no civil judgment entered against you, correct? As often times there can be a criminal verdict that is favorable, but a civil judgment that is entered in a different court, due to the fact that the civil judgment standard of proof is lower than than required in criminal court. If so, if the judgment was renewed, it can be a valid collection issue.

Customer:

the person has not threatened me - he just tells people that i am a sexual monster and included newspaper clippings from 20 years ago- who knows what people in the neighborhood will do

Customer:

he tells them i am out to get their children-

LegalGems :

It appeared as if you were typing but there were no new posts. Were you able to review my last post?

Customer:

yes i did

Customer:

the person has not threatened me just tells the neighbors i am a sexual monster and they should keep their children away from me

Customer:

i am fearful for my self and my property. I have had damage done to my house and car already. That is why i asked if i should get the police involved

Customer:

or the postal inspector

LegalGems :

Here is a link to the state bar's referral page:http://utahbar.org/public/lawyer_referral_service_main.html (the site's linking option is not working; but you can copy and paste that into your browser bar).

Customer:

ok thank you for your help

Customer:

have a good night

LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience: Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator