Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Hello, my utility co. caught an error on their side and billed

Customer Question

Hello, my utility co. caught an error on their side and billed me for almost $4k in past electric bills that they are claiming I owe them. They are saying they forgot to switch the billing under my name when I called in to request new service. So the builder was paying it all this time. Is this something I can fight? I checked each month there was no past due billing and or notices, letters, etc. I called to ask and they said all is okay and now all of a sudden this bill. I have always been on time for the last 10 years when I used their services in my older address.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

You say the builder was paying it? If the builder paid it, your reimbursement would be to the builder not to the utility company unless they refunded the money to the builder. If the utility company refunded the money to the builder and they can prove that you did use that much in utilities after their audit, then even if it was their mistake, you would by contract law and the equitable theory of "quantum meruit" (for the service given) and also under the equitable theory of unjust enrichment, you would owe the money I am sorry to say. However, because it was their error they should not charge you any late fees, interest or penalties and if they are trying to do so then you have grounds legally to fight those and have them removed.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.