CalAttorney2, Lawyer
Experience:  I am a civil litigation attorney representing individuals and businesses.

Hi, I bought a motorhome on ebay october 5,2012 ,it needed

Customer Question

Hi, I bought a motorhome on ebay october 5,2012 ,it needed to be towed and didn't run. I contacted a mechanic on craigslist, and he towed it to his shop. I gave him $1,000.00 to start then about 6 weeks later he needed more money, another $1,000.00 then he said he couldn't get it going but will store it till spring, no charge, now after many calls I keep geting told two more weeks, two weeks ago i stopped at his shop and the motorhome wasn't there. He said he towed to his new shop and again said it will be runnig soon. I told him to call me in two weeks and now its almost been three, I know this makes me look stupid, but this is vehicle theft. My question is how do I proseed? Thank's Bob
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 3 years ago.

CalAttorney2 :

Dear Customer, thank you for choosing Just Answer. I am sorry to learn about this unfortunate experience with your motorhome. From the statement of facts as you have provided them, the mechanic appears to have potentially engaged in a series of unlawful acts, including fraud, breach of contract, and conversion (the theft of your vehicle). You can sue to recover your auto in civil court (depending on the value you could sue in small claims, but Wisconsin small claims has a cap of $10,000.00 so anything higher than that will have to go to general civil court).

CalAttorney2 :

If you want additional information on your rights in Wisconsin, as well as the proper department to call if you want assistance prior to filing a lawsuit, please review this publication by the state government, it outlines some of the basic rights for auto repair, as well as your potential damages claim (double the cost of repair) in your state:

Dear Customer, I am following up on your question. I hope that my answer was of assistance to you. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you for your business!