Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

I am developing a new retail food product. Its a single grab

Customer Question

I am developing a new retail food product. It's a single grab and go pickle inside of a 4 oz jar. I want to attach a skewer, or toothpick of some sort. What kind of disclaimers would I need to protect myself from legal risks?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 3 years ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

If you are going to use any type of sharp object or one that is hard and can break teeth or cause choking you are going to need to write your own warning label as most labels are written specifically for the product.

The warning would state something to the effect of "WARNING: Food Item contains hard, sharp, non-edible object through the pickle and can cause choking hazard and or danger to teeth. Please remove the stick prior to biting all the way through pickle or exercise extreme caution when biting through pickle and take care to remove the skewer. Also, keep object away from small children as skewer can cause choking hazard or can become impaled on gums or mouth."

This is the type of warning you would use on your label, it is similar to labels on olives with pits or any other food item with a non-edible object in the item.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Very helpful. Thank you. Do you know if there is a font minimum size for such a warning? and do you think it could be condensed , by which I mean use less words?

The minimum font size would be no smaller than any of the other regular fonts on the label. You can reword what I wrote to condense it, as long as you cover all of those items.