Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.
17897874

I took my car in for routine service (transmission fluid change),

Customer Question

I took my car in for routine service (transmission fluid change), 5000 miles later, the transmission is dead. The supervisor stated that he thinks something happened during the transmission flush, couple days later the boss in the service department says he will give me an estimate of the price. Basically he says its my fault. I travel a lot with the US Navy, therefore, I have to keep my car service. Now all of a sudden, "its my fault". Please help. My car is at the dealership right now.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

Before we begin, a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Are you covered under a manufacturer's or other warranty?

Has there been any specific allegation as to what you could have done to damage the transmission?

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

My car is no longer under warranty. They have not given me any allegations as to what could be the cause of the transmission death. He stated, "that he know people that have had cars with 180000 miles that transmission has died. He has not given me any answer as to why this happened. His battle cry is, "I waited 5000 miles later to report it". I stated, "that's because this is when the incident occurred". I looked up the reviews on this company and they have had similar situations. Car goes in for routine checkup and comes out crosseyed. They are not a member of the better business bureau either and someone reported them and the company never replied to the complaint sent from the better business bureau.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX the additional information.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma.   I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

If you believe that the mechanic servicing your car made an error during the transmission work you would have the burden of proving the claim. That might mean getting a second opinion from another mechanic. However, it is also possible that it was not their fault or your fault and thatthe transmission just broke.

In any event, there are a couplemof things you can do. First, you can sue the company which did the transmission work. You would still have a burden of proof. Therefore, make sure to get the old parts back after the transmission is fixed, as they will be important evidence to be examined by another mechanic to make your case.

Also, you file a consumer fraud complaint with the Florida Attorney General's Office. Getting a call from the AG may provide some motivation formthe dealer to work with you.

You can also contact the regional service manager with the corporate officeof the dealer. They are very concerned with customer satisfaction and will take seriously any allegation of incompetence by a dealer mechanic.

It is my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further information.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

JudgeLaw
Loren, Lawyer
Experience: 30 years experience in general legal matters.
Expert:  Loren replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, Felishia, for your positive rating of my service to you. Let me know if you need more help or have future questions. I will be here for you. Just ask for me by name at the start of your question - "JudgeLaw" or use the following link (which you can bookmark in your browser):  http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-JudgeLaw/

Best wishes and good luck to you.

If it is not too much trouble, when you receive a Customer Satisfaction Survey from JA/Pearl in a day or two, please do rate me highly (9 or 10). It affects my ability to continue to assist you and other customers on JA/Pearl and would be most appreciated.