Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.

I purchased a used car from used car dealership in Maryland

I purchased a used car from used car dealership in Maryland on 3/20/13. They gave me a title with the incorrect vin #. They have been unable to get me a real title wiith the correct vin #. What recourse do I have? Can I get my money back?
Thank you,

Danny Anthony
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 year ago.

INFOLAWYER :

Hello and thank you for the question.

INFOLAWYER :

How much are you owed?

INFOLAWYER :

did you pay them with check, credit card or cash?

Customer:

Approximately $10,000. I financed it at the dealership then got a lower interest rate loan from my credit union. All was done before I found out that I did not have a correct vin # XXXXX title.

INFOLAWYER :

How did you pay them?

INFOLAWYER :

credit card? check?

INFOLAWYER :

You can pursue a claim in a number of ways which include threat of and then actual complaint with a number of places

INFOLAWYER :

that includes the dept of consumer affairs, BBB and civil court

INFOLAWYER :

If paid by credit card, you may call the card company and contest the charge

INFOLAWYER :

that is called a chargeback and suspends the charge

Customer:

I financed it there through TD Auto Finance. I also traded in an older car. My loan is now with my credit union.

INFOLAWYER :

You have the options I mentioned above

INFOLAWYER :

you may also involve a consumer protection lawyer locally

INFOLAWYER :

I can suggest 2 excellent directories

INFOLAWYER :

would you like that information too?

Customer:

sure

INFOLAWYER :

martindale.com and findlaw.com are excellent, highly rated and easy to use

INFOLAWYER :

lawyer can work on commission to recover and negotiate, and if needed, sue.

INFOLAWYER :
INFOLAWYER :

if I can clarify anything, please ask me

Customer:

Is a dealer in Maryland required by law to title a car within a certain time period?

INFOLAWYER :

It needs to be done within a reasonable time, with courts expecting it to be done within 1-2 weeks

INFOLAWYER :

here the delay is unreasonable

INFOLAWYER :

and a clear breach of contract

INFOLAWYER :

Threatening to sue and turn to the BBB and attorney general office

INFOLAWYER :

is often successful in getting dealer to resolve and settle

INFOLAWYER :

not wanting exposure to that

Customer:

So the only way to get my money back is to sue and get a lawyer? How much is that going to cost me?

INFOLAWYER :

that is one option

INFOLAWYER :

you can also threaten and then go to the BBB, dept of consumer affairs, attorney general office

INFOLAWYER :

If you turn to a lawyer

INFOLAWYER :

the lawyer should work on contingency

INFOLAWYER :

which means 1/3 typically of the recovery

INFOLAWYER :

so no recovery, no fee

INFOLAWYER :

and the directories I provided are good resources

Customer:

I have to sue to get my money back? Cost of lawyer?

INFOLAWYER :

I answered that above

INFOLAWYER :

did you get that?

INFOLAWYER :

if not, I can give it again.

INFOLAWYER :

threaten to sue, and then would sue. can combine with agency complaints. lawyer would cost 1/3 of recovery.

INFOLAWYER :

if there is a recovery

INFOLAWYER :

nothing advanced

INFOLAWYER :
Customer:

Yes. Thank yo. Good-bye.

INFOLAWYER :

very welcome

INFOLAWYER :

Please click on an excellent rating for the answer

INFOLAWYER :

that is how I get credit by the site

INFOLAWYER :

Have a nice day.

Infolawyer, Lawyer
Experience: Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.