Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney

I had bought a boat from a guy last December. I live in North

I had bought a boat from a guy last December. I live in North Dakota so I was not able to use the boat until the middle of may. The first time I took it out it ran like crap. Had to take it to a mechanic. 150.00 later they stated it was fixed. Took it out a 2nd time again it took a crap on me. They said they had fixed everything. Took it out a 3rd time and what do you know it took a crap on me again. I have just picked the boat up from the mechanic today. I guess my question is is there any type of protection I may have even if I bought this from a private person? Is there even a such thing as a lemon law in ND regarding boats? If so does it only apply to dealers? I have tried contacting the previous owner. He did return 1 phone call and stated that he was going to keep in touch I have yet to hear back from him. Is there anything I can do?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

Did you buy this boat in a used condition and in "as is" condition without any written warranty from the seller?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It was a used boat....that's where I'm thinking to took on full responsibility . No warranty was offered.

Dear Chad,

Thank you for your follow up.

I am afraid I have some bad news.

If you purchased this boat used from a private seller, without any written warranty in "as is" condition, I am afraid that the seller would not be responsible for any repairs once you purchased the boat, as you did have the right to conduct your due diligence and have the boat fully inspected by licensed boat specialist, prior to purchasing it.

I am very sorry to deliver this tough news to you, but I know that you do want correct answer based on the law.

I wish you the best of luck and GOD bless you!