LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator

Am I legally obligated to pay an air conditioning company for

Am I legally obligated to pay an air conditioning company for installing two new compressors that burnt-out almost immediately after they were installed? Only after the AC repairman attempted to install these compressors did he tell me that I need a totally new air conditioning unit. And I never signed any contract or service form.

LegalGems :

Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.

LegalGems :

In every contract (whether written or verbal) there is an implied covenant of good faith and fair dealing.

LegalGems :

If the contractor installed the compressors, knowing that they would immediately fail due to the condition of the overall unit, this should have been disclosed.

LegalGems :

If he failed to disclose this, in addition to the aforementioned covenant issue, there may be an issue of misrepresentation (ie implying that the compressors would solve your problem).

LegalGems :

Most contractors board will investigate if a consumer files a complaint, and then attempt to mediate. This is often the cheapest and most efficient way to handle situations such as thi.

LegalGems :

LegalGems :

These are the investigative and procedural steps the board will take if a consumer files a complaint:

Exactly! They even inspected the AC unit before they began work on the unit. After there initial inspection they said it needed a new compressor. It was never disclosed to me until after they attempted to install two new compressors that we actually needed a new AC unit. So thanks for the legal info consumer complaint site you have provided.

LegalGems :

You are welcome. In my experience, the board is rather pro-active, as they want to protect the integrity/reputation of the industry they oversee/regulate (versus many government agencies!).

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks! I will consult a local attorney as a precaution.

Perfect. I hope this resolves quickly and without too much hassle (the board is much simpler than court).

Take Care! (and thank you for the rating).

You can request me in the future for your estate planning/consumer protection issues by putting TO LEGAL GEMS in front of the question.