Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

Chevy Silverado: I live in NJ. I bought a used car on May 30,

I live in NJ. I bought a used car on May 30, 2013. I ran a Carfax report which indicated the car had no major issues. I bought a warranty from the used car dealer. This week the car lost power while driving. The mechanic advsied me no oil was reaching teh heads and teh oil pressure gauge is rigged to show oil pressure when the ignition is on before the engine is turned on. I now need a new engine. What recourse do I have? I have only had the car two weeks. The warranty excludes many things and the Carfax Buyback only relates to the title. I feel teh car dealer should have some responsibility. Someone told me there is no "As Is" in the state of NJ that soem warranty has to be provided by the dealer. I am not sure what to do.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.

New Jersey has what is called a "used car lemon law." Unfortunately, it does not apply to cars that are more than seven years old. It also doesn't apply to any vehicle sold for less than $3,000 or have more than 100,000 miles on them. What that means is that, unless this specific issue is covered by the warranty you bought, there unfortunately isn't any law that would make the dealer pay for repairs. Read the warranty carefully - don't take their word for it. If the warranty sounds like it should be covered, and they refuse to pay, you may have a case against the dealer for breach of the warranty.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.