insearchoftheanswer, Lawyer
Experience:  Practicing lawyer for 31 years

i went to see some bedroom furniture from an ad on craigslist

i went to see some bedroom furniture from an ad on craigslist last Sunday. I made an offer of $300.00 through text message to the seller the following Wednesday. He agreed to my offer. I told him that I would pick up Friday (today). Now I don't want the item. I changed my mind because I am concerned that i can get brand new furniture for not much more and this will give me piece of mind. Am I legally bound to continue with the purchase?
Welcome! My goal is to do my very best to understand your situation and to provide a full and complete answer for you.

Good afternoon. Though the seller could allege that you had a verbal contract, you need not worry about being liable for any damages. You have nothing signed in writing and the seller still has the furniture. So, if you simply refuse to purchase the furniture, the seller can sell it to someone else. The seller has thus suffered no damages. In order to prevail, the seller would have to show that not only did he rely on your text, but also that such reliance was to his detriment. Since he still has the furniture which can be sold to another buyer, if he were dumb enough to file a claim against you in small claims court, he would not prevail because he has no damages.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which will be helpful to you. If I have not fully addressed your questions or if you have any follow up questions, or if I have misinterpreted your questions in any way, please do not rate me yet, but simply ask a follow up question without rating so I can provide you with a fully satisfactory answer. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service with 3, 4, or 5 faces/stars so I can receive credit for helping you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!
Thank you so much for the positive rating! I appreciate having had the opportunity to serve you! If I can be of assistance to you in the future, just look me up and I will be happy to help! For easy access, my bookmark is:
Thank you also for the generous bonus! I appreciate your kindness!