socrateaser, Lawyer
Experience:  Retired (mostly)

my fiance purchased a vehicle about 2 months ago the money

Customer Question

my fiance purchased a vehicle about 2 months ago the money used was paid directly to a used car dealer as a down payment for the 3rd party my debit card was used without myself present and without any written authorization payment posted the same day 3rd party left with her new used car now the dealer is saying that his card processing company is telling him that payment didnt complete because he unplugged his machine 3rd party has since made 2 payments and is keeping up on everything but dealer is harrasing her what can be done?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 3 years ago.

I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.

Was the downpayment made or not? Please explain.

Thank you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes the down payment was made by us for the 3rd party as payment for the vehicle my fiance purchased from 3rd party

Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 3 years ago.
Is the dealer correct that the credit card payment from you did not post to your account?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

no it did post that same day and he is saying that his card processing company is telling him that the money is in "limbo" somewhere

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 3 years ago.

Different contributor here. Please permit me to assist.

Contact your bank and cancel the debit card payment. Then bring the dealer a check for the down payment (after you are sure that the down payment is actually canceled). That way you won't later find out that you were tricked into making two separate down payments on the vehicle.

Hope this helps.