Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
19958803

I had a verbal agreement with a friend about loaning money

I had a verbal agreement with a friend about loaning money for various bills. I used my debit card to pay these bills. He has since backed out of the agreement and refuses to pay any of the debt. I do not have receipts for all of the payments but i do for the ones used on my debit card or can get them. Is there any way i cant recoup the money i lost?
Hello and thank you for using JA! My goal is to provide you with excellent service and help with your legal problem.
.
If there was no written agreement, then this would be considered an oral contract for a loan and it would be legally binding if the loan was made and accepted. If the borrower has refused to repay the loan, the lender can file suit against the borrower in small claims court for breach of contract. Lender would need to get all their evidence together that documents the loans such as receipts or withdrawal documentation from your bank.
.
The limit in VA is $5,000 and you don't need an attorney to file suit. The court clerk will have the summons and complaint that you need to fill out and file. Then when you get to court, you just present your case along with any supporting evidence and the judge should rule in your favor. If the person disputes part of the loans and you don't have proof, then a judge may refuse to award those amounts. The cost is typically less than $100 and you can recover that as well as any proven damages.
.

.

.

Thanks.

.

.

If you need further help, just reply to me via the “REPLY” button and I will be happy to continue.

.

I cannot enter into an attorney client relationship, this is a public forum, and all posts are available for public viewing. There is no duty of confidentiality that attaches to any posts. The information provided is not a substitute for a local attorney’s legal advice.

.