AlmostFreeLegal
AlmostFreeLegal, Lawyer
Experience:  20 years experience as a trial attorney
10007051

is a company called GMY legitimate?

is a company called GMY legitimate?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

Do you know what GMY stands for? Can you tell me where this company is located, what they do, or if they have a website? What are they asking you to do or offering to do for you?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

y asked for my bank info. and said that medicare was sending a new card and the bank is where my ss ck is deposited.they gave a ph. no XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but for security reasons, you're not able to input telephone numbers. I can't see what you input.

Why were they asking for bank information? Did they call you? Are you enrolled in any sort of Medicare Plan that has premiums?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I may be wrong but if they are ligit they send out the new medicare cards, they did tell me they were not affiliated with medicare , after I had given the info.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm sorry, but I'm not going to be able to look into this for you. I'm going to open this up to the other experts. I apologize for the delay.
Expert:  AlmostFreeLegal replied 1 year ago.
This sounds like a scam to me, though it is hard to say without more information about the company. There does not appear to be any company named GMY, and certainly not one affiliated with medicare as far as I can tell.

You cannot post phone numbers into the post, but you can search for that phone number on Google and see what comes up. If it leads you to a corporation connected with Medicare, then you may be ok. If it just produces a bunch of links for finding out who owns a phone number, then there is a good chance you have been deceived.

Never give out personal information to someone who calls you on the phone this way. If they were affiliated with Medicare, they would already have your banking information and would not need to call you.

My recommendation is that you contact your bank today and tell them what has happened. Ask them to look at your account and see if there is any unusual activity, such as money being transferred out of your account. If there is, then you will need to ask them to cancel the transaction and also report the incident to law enforcement.

I hope that you were not the victim of a scam and that this situation turns out to have a simple explanation. However, the information you posted combined with the absence of any public information online about a company called GMY makes the transaction sound suspicious. Please contact your bank immediately. You may need to change your bank account number, or at least have the bank put a freeze on any outgoing transfers from the account. The banks deal with this kind of thing fairly often, so the local branch manager will probably be able to guide you on what to do.

Good luck to you, and please let us know how the situation turned out.
AlmostFreeLegal, Lawyer
Experience: 20 years experience as a trial attorney