Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.

Hello Sir, I have been reading more about the TOD deed.

Hello Sir,

I have been reading more about the TOD deed. According to what I read this type deed is valid in Oklahoma. I also read that some states require your spouse to sign the deed but the article did not reference which states.

My question is would my current wife who is not on any of the deeds need to sign a TOD deed for Oklahoma to make it legal?

Also my current wife is Philippino and resides in the Philippines (which is where I am currently). We would need to have any documents notorized at the U.S. Embassy in Manila.

My second questions is would having the documents notorized at the U.S. Embassy in Manila be acceptable?

Thank you for your question and for asking for me.

Under Oklahoma law, the spouse must sign the TOD deed even if they are not an owner listed on the deed. This is done as an acknowledgment that this property will not be part of her inheritance as surviving spouse upon your death.

Yes, you would have to have the notarized at the Embassy, as the Filipino notary would not be sufficient for a US Deed.

Thank you so much for using I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO RECEIVE ANY CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.