Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs exp with Consumer Law issues

can you tell me if the American cash awards co. is a legite

can you tell me if the American cash awards co. is a legite company? I have received many calls from these " type " of places all telling me that I have won a large sum of money but this last on here I asked him ( mr.robert west XXXXXXXXXX to send me proof because I think that it is a scam, so he emailed me what looks like a legitimate cahiers check drawn from bank of America for the amount that I have supposedly won but in order for me to receive the check and the car I must first put $800.00 on a :green dot money pack card ( sold at Wal-Mart CVS ect.) the check looks like the real thing and I just want to make absolutely sure BEFORE I get scammed.

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, it is a scam. There are two ways to know with certainty that something like this is a scam. One is that you win a lottery or sweepstakes that you never entered. The other is if you must pay to receive your winnings. There is no legitimate sweepstakes that will make you pay to receive your winnings. If there were taxes or processing fees, they would take it out of your winnings.

As for the check, they are very good at what they do. What happens in most cases, is that the check looks so good that the bank will accept the check for deposit. Then after it goes through the clearing house it is discovered that the check was not real. Then not only is the person who was scammed out of the initial money they gave to the criminals, but also any money that they withdrew from their bank account thinking the check was good.

You can read a bit more about these types of scams by going to:
You can also file a complaint with the FTC for this scam.

Please let me know if you need any clarification. I would be glad to assist you further if I can.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

that's what I was afraid of.. thank you very much for clearing up this matter and I would also like to file a complaint against these scammers. I do have phone numbers and names ( if that will do any good). again thank you very much. most excellent service!

You're very welcome and I am sorry the news wasn't better.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok marsha411jd got another question for you if you can help < got a call from a person today that went by "pert" did"nt catch the first name ok says that I will need to "purchase " a IRS government stamp for the "supposed money that I have "won" so I suppose the question is "is there such a thing as a government stamp gold eagle? these guys sure make it sound like it's the real deal.

No, there is no such thing. The problem with even listening to these people is that they are very good at what they do, which is scam people. They are sales people by nature, snake oil salespeople, and can talk people into anything. Your best tact is to stop taking their calls and tell them that you are going to file a criminal report with the FTC.