Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I broke my arm and went to the emergency room. The physicians

I broke my arm and went to the emergency room. The physician's group never sent me a bill because they had a wrong number in the zip code. The bill went directly to a collection agency. The collection agency told me they could take 25% off my bill (1700.00). I had to make a decision that day! I investigated the bill through my insurance company and found out that the correct bill is (1300.00). I called the collection agency and asked if I could pay 25% on the corrected bill amount (this would save me about $400.00 which is a huge thing for me right now). They said they cannot negotiate on the new bill amount. Is this true?? What should I do?? Is there anyone I can contact for help with the collection agency?
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

It is not correct that the collection agency cannot negotiate the bill, but how much they can negotiate can be limited by their contract with the medical group. However, you can also contact the medical group and seek to negotiate the bill with them, which likely includes a fee for late payment or non-payment. The collection agency's job is to collect as much as possible on the bill because they are getting paid based on what they collect. You have to be persistent with the collection agency and make them a solid offer of settlement (usually starting at about 33% less than you are willing to ultimately pay when you are done negotiating and then work your way up).

You should call the medical group first and try to negotiate with them. Many times they play the game that they cannot do anything because it is with the collection agency and you need to tell them all you want them to do is bill you correctly according to what your insurance company said the bill is. At the same time, you need to call the collection agency and make them an offer to settle and take your time and be persistent with them, do not just take their word for what they want to settle for and keep on them.

If they will not settle and you cannot reach an agreement, then you may need to use a local consumer protection attorney to try to negotiate this debt with them.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.