Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Hello. I wanted my hair dyed honey blonde and was afraid to

Hello. I wanted my hair dyed honey blonde and was afraid to do it myself so I went to a salon and the owner was my colorist but it turned out brownish especially at the hairline. I complained while I was there but she kept saying the color was perfect.Now one day later it's too brown for me so I send her an email and she sends me one back tellig me everything will be fine and it will lighten on it's own. Very condescending. What I wanted to hear was "yes, I understand it's too dark, why don't you come in and we'll get it right". Plus, I feel like I got the shakedown when my bill was 145.00....The website said color was 45.00....Please advise.Thanks
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for giving me the opportunity to assist you. Kindly use CONTINUE or REPLY button to ask for clarification or follow-up questions.

Hello: We do not give legal advice here. What is your specific question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What should I do?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How should I proceed and what are my rights

Thank you for the information:

What should I do?

Your initial post: Hello. I wanted my hair dyed honey blonde and was afraid to do it myself so I went to a salon and the owner was my colorist but it turned out brownish especially at the hairline. I complained while I was there but she kept saying the color was perfect.Now one day later it's too brown for me so I send her an email and she sends me one back tellig me everything will be fine and it will lighten on it's own. Very condescending. What I wanted to hear was "yes, I understand it's too dark, why don't you come in and we'll get it right". Plus, I feel like I got the shakedown when my bill was 145.00....The website said color was 45.00....Please advise.Thanks

Response:
If your hair was dyed the wrong color, the salon must either re-do it or refund your money. You need to let the owner know that you are not satisfied and that you either need the color re-done or your money returned to you. Also, if the price advertised was $45.00, the salon cannot charge you $145.00. The salon must charge you the advertised price. Otherwise, the salon has acted fraudulently and you can file Small Claim against the salon for the return of the additional $100.00. It would cause the salon a lot more than $100.00 to defend the Small Claim. So, the salon would most likely settle to avoid defending the lawsuit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks a lot. On there website it says from 45.00 for hair color. Doesn't that imply if they are going to charge more they would tell you?also if I brought a picture so she could see the color she should have said she couldn't achieve that color, right? Why wasn't she upfront with me? She also trimmed and blowed my hair straight without me asking for it. She is very manipulative.

Thanks a lot. On there website it says from 45.00 for hair color. Doesn't that imply if they are going to charge more they would tell you?

Response 1: Yes, that is correct.

also if I brought a picture so she could see the color she should have said she couldn't achieve that color, right?

Response 2: Correct also.

Why wasn't she upfront with me? She also trimmed and blowed my hair straight without me asking for it. She is very manipulative.

Response 3: In order for you to be charged the higher rate, that price must have been disclosed to you PRIOR to the work being done. Otherwise, you are only responsible for the advertised price.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Perfect! What do I do about the time limit. ? I have emailed the owner,who did the color 3 times because you should get at the color Before 72 hrs has elapsed, but she won't answer my emails. Can I, by right, go in there tomorrow and ask for a corrective color or a refund? Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?" What is strange is Before I went in she answered my emails so promptly!lol!

Perfect! What do I do about the time limit. ? I have emailed the owner,who did the color 3 times because you should get at the color Before 72 hrs has elapsed, but she won't answer my emails. Can I, by right, go in there tomorrow and ask for a corrective color or a refund?

Response 1: Yes, you can. However, be careful that you do not have any confrontation with her. Otherwise, she would call the police and accuse you of trying to make trouble. You would be the aggressor since you are in her salon. So, be very careful. If she asks you to leave, just leave and go ahead and file Small Claim against her.

Whatever happened to "the customer is always right?" What is strange is Before I went in she answered my emails so promptly!lol!

Response 2: No surprise there. She was trying to get your business. Now that she has gotten your business and taken your money, she has no more use for you, regrettably and very sad and too common occurrence.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hello....i finally got the stylist on the phone...I had to call 5 times before she would pick up. She denies anywrongdoing...I told her about small claims court and she actually hung up on me. Now what? I sent her an email asking for my money back and telling her I'm also going to file with the BBB and NJ Consumer Protection. I mentioned that giving me my money back will be easier than the bad reviews I'll write on the internet....I have a feeling she won't budge, though since she said on the phone"I gave you what you asked for".I can't believe the greed of this person.

Response: Go ahead and file complaint with BBB and NJ Consumer Protection. However, you still need to file the Small Claim to recover your money. Click here for more information on New Jersey Small Claims:

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/civil/civ-02.htm#NoSC

Complaint with New Jersey Consumer Protection:

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/ocp/complaints.htm

Better Business Bureau:

http://newjersey.bbb.org/consumers/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hi Phil,

Sorry this took too long. When I asked for a refund I told her I would write bad reviews on Yelp and other sitesif she didn't refund me and she said if I did ,she would sue me. Aren't I allowed to write a review as long as I just give my opinion and don't character assasinate? Hair color is very subjective and I told her inside it was too dark and outside it looked fine. Women change there minds,too about haircolor and the customer is always right. Anyway,today I am going to another stylist for an opinion and to get it lightened. Can I take this bill to small claims? Is it expensive to file in small claims in NJ?Thanks!

Sorry this took too long. When I asked for a refund I told her I would write bad reviews on Yelp and other sitesif she didn't refund me and she said if I did ,she would sue me. Aren't I allowed to write a review as long as I just give my opinion and don't character assasinate?

Response 1
: Yes, you can. So long as what you are writing about is the correct information, you do not have anything to worry about—you do not have to worry about a suit for defamation because truth is an absolute defense to a defamation suit.

Hair color is very subjective and I told her inside it was too dark and outside it looked fine. Women change there minds,too about haircolor and the customer is always right. Anyway,today I am going to another stylist for an opinion and to get it lightened. Can I take this bill to small claims?

Response 2: Yes, you can.

Is it expensive to file in small claims in NJ?Thanks

Response 3: No. Kindly review the information that I previously provided to you on Small Claims for more information:

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Phillip.....Just wondering for small claims court. Right after they washed the dye out I said it was too dark and said"I think it's too dark" a few times and before I paid I went outside and asked for a mirror and in the light thought it was ok PLUS the salon was empty and all 3 employees were waiting for me to pay up(and watching me). Will the court says"well, she said finally she was satisfied and PAID dispite the fact that I said it was too dark while inside the salon and I spend 95%of my time inside where it is too dark?Plus, now that I'm home it' too dark and I'm not satisfied. Please advise!

Response: Regrettably, I cannot speculate on what the Court would say. However, you may go and ahead and file your Small Claim and present your evidence to the Court. The other side would do the same thing and the Court would decide after reviewing all evidence in the case. Also, you have more than one issue in the case: false advertising and the hair color. You were charged for more than the price advertised and you are not satisfied with the hair color. You attempted to get the owner to address your concerns, but the owner has not been cooperative. Those are the things that you need to stress in your Small Claim filing. Let the Court decide the rest.

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience: B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.