How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask socrateaser Your Own Question

socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 35904
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Victim of fraud

Resolved Question:

My son was the victim of a fraud scam. He thought he was working as an orderer for a company. He deposited a check from an out of state company in his credit union account and he then got a money order and sent it to what he thought was another company person. The credit union did not put a three day hold and it seems that the company that the check was written was a closed account. That we found out three days later. The Credit union says that he must pay them back to a total of $1900.00. Plus his account with his $366.00 was cleared. What can he do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 2 years ago.


As a pure academic question, the answer would be to sue the employer. The problem is that the employer is apparently a criminal enterprise, so even if you were to find the perpetrator and sue, and even if you were to win, you would never collect, because criminals don't pay their bills. They go to jail.

There may be an argument here that the credit union's negligence has caused its own damage. Banks routinely hold funds until they clear, especially in accounts where there is insufficient funds to cover the amount of a deposited item. It may be that the credit union failed to follow its own procedure, and as such it is contributorily negligent and so your son would not be liable for the funds.

Concerning the $366, banks are entitled to offset their debts against depositor funds. So, there is no means of recovering this amount, even if your son were to be sued by the bank and assuming that he were to prevail.

In sum, your son can simply refuse to pay back the money, if he has already spent it. If not then, to the extent that he currently still has the funds, he must return that amount, because a court would hold him liable to return that which he has not already used due to his reliance on the bank's errors and omissions -- because the money is not really his -- it's the bank's money.


I realize that this is a somewhat convoluted issue. However, ultimately, it's a matter for criminal law enforcement, and unless and until the perpetrator is caught, there isn't really anything else that your son can do.

Hope this helps.

socrateaser, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 35904
Experience: Retired (mostly)
socrateaser and 4 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of private practice
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 14 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
Chat Now With A Consumer Protection Lawyer
1244 Satisfied Customers
Retired (mostly)