Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
4460311

I signed up for a coaching service and online training to try

I signed up for a coaching service and online training to try and make money as a marketing affiliate. The cost of the program was $4200.00 that I put on my credit card. I signed up on May 6 and after two coaching sessions I decided to cancel. I sent the email that I wanted to cancel on May 21. I just got a phone call from the company rep saying that they only give a 7 day refund policy. After 7 days there is no refund. When signing up I was read the terms of the service and refund policy which was recorded and that I agreed to.

My question is am I now stuck paying for this service or is there a way for me to get even part of my money back?

Thanks,
Mark
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome, Mark.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX my goal is to provide you with excellent service today. I am sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Before I can give you an accurate answer to your question, please provide the following additional information:

Does the contract indicate which state's laws apply? How long is the company to provide you this service for the amount you paid? You prepaid for services? What is the name of the company and have they provided the service they promised pursuant to the agreement?

I look forward to assisting you as soon as I have received this information. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The company's name is PMI (Professional Marketing International). They are located in Lehi, UT. The service is Internet marketing and I did get 2 coaching session. Each 1 hour. I get 10 one-on-one coaching session as part of the program. One each week. I also have access to online training videos for a year. There are other services that come with the program but I have not used any of them as of yet because once I started my coaching, I realized this was not what I expected and sent an email after the second session that I wanted to cancel.

Hope that answers your questions.
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for clarifying the situation for me, Mark.

It appears this company may push the boundaries of the law, but if they have not breached the contract with you and did not engage in fraud to induce you to sign the contract, then there would typically not be any legal recourse against the company.

If they did mislead you in their sales pitch, then that would normally provide a basis to allege fraud in the inducement, file a complaint with the BBB, the state consumer protection agency, and even to file a lawsuit against them for fraud.

It does appear they have a high number of complaints filed by consumers and you may wish to add your complaint to that, to see what their response is since the BBB report I located does indicate that the company typically responds satisfactorily to consumer complaints.

Here is a link to the report I located:

http://www.bbb.org/utah/business-reviews/training-programs/professional-marketing-international-in-lehi-ut-2003044

You can also file a dispute with your credit card company indicating that the company defrauded you. If you file the dispute within 30 days of the charge, you may be able to obtain at least a partial refund of the signficiant charge you incurred for their services.

I hope this helps clarify the situation for you. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need so I will be compensated for my time from the deposit you posted with this website. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Tina, Lawyer
Experience: 16 years legal experience including consumer protection law.