How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask JBaxLaw Your Own Question

JBaxLaw, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 11319
Experience:  Wide experience in consumer rights law.
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
JBaxLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a vehicle which was sold to my Mother, in 2003 and there

Resolved Question:

I have a vehicle which was sold to my Mother, in 2003 and there is a lien still attached to it. However, my mother died in 2007 and I had no contact from the company regarding ANYTHING. The vehicle has sat until now, 5/2013 and I want to dispose it. How do I get a release.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  JBaxLaw replied 1 year ago.

JohnQAttorney : Hello,I am a professional here to assist you. I appreciate your use of this service.
JohnQAttorney : I see your mother purchased a vehicle and there was a lien.
JohnQAttorney : If the lien remained, that means your mother was unable to register the vehicle I presume. As such, it has sat unused. Now you want to sell the vehicle.
JohnQAttorney : A lien is a legal mechanism which requires payment to release the lien in order to provide clear title to a buyer. This ensures a lienholder is paid.
JohnQAttorney : This is your problem.
JohnQAttorney : The first step is to contact the seller from whom your mother purchased and demand payment of the debt underlying the lien so clear title may be obtained.
JohnQAttorney : Hello
JohnQAttorney : Are you with me?
JohnQAttorney : If the seller fails to make payment you have other options.
Customer: No I have the vehicle. I wanted to dispose of it
JohnQAttorney : You can contact the lien holder. The debt may have been paid and this may only be a matter of obtaining a release of lien.
JohnQAttorney : I understand.
JohnQAttorney : To dispose of the vehicle you must obtain the release of lien.
JohnQAttorney : To do that you have two routes.
JohnQAttorney : 1) via the seller
JohnQAttorney : 2)via the lien holder
Customer: This is with Americredit which was sold to and became GM Financial services AFTER all of this took place. I just want to get a release and I am not willing to pay for this car.
JohnQAttorney : I understand, but typically a release is only provided if the underlying debt has been paid.
JohnQAttorney : It may have already been paid.
JohnQAttorney : You need to contact that lender.
JohnQAttorney : The lender will need to research the issue.
JohnQAttorney : If you find the debt is still owed, then the lender will not release the lien.
Customer: So..... If I am not willing to pay anything for this vehicle I an just junke it?
JohnQAttorney : Then you will need to go after whoever sold the vehicle.
Customer: I guess I am having trouble with the part about Who sold it? Why is that relevant?
JohnQAttorney : There may be services which will take the vehicle from your possession. You can call a vehicle disposal service. Some will not touch a vehicle with a lien and some will. They will then contact the lender who may go after the debtor. I assume the debtor was not your mom?
Customer: Correct
JohnQAttorney : The person who sold the vehicle with the lien had an obligation to pay off the lien.
Customer: Estate is closed
Customer: Ok let me see if I get this
JohnQAttorney : Recourse would be against that seller. When a vehicle is purchased it is to be conveyed with clear title.
Customer: WOW.... so is there a statue of limitations
JohnQAttorney : Normally, the payment for the vehicle is used to pay off any lien holder and clear title is conveyed. Only then may the vehicle be registered to the new owner.
Customer: So
JohnQAttorney : There would be a statute of limitations on the breach of contact action
JohnQAttorney : In Indiana, the limitation is 10 years for a written contract and six if there was no written contract.
Customer: If she bought the vehicle from a Dealer in 2003 and made payments on that until, I don't know when, but she died in 12/2007. The Dealer would have to make that debit good to Americredit. AND therefore the title should be clear.
JohnQAttorney : Only if she paid off the debt
JohnQAttorney : On debts, the statute of limitations does not start until a breach occurs. For example, a missed payment. The statute of limitations only bars a civil suit. The lien would remain in place without regard to that statute of limitation
Customer: Obvisously not, the BMv Still shows a lein
Customer: So I have to find out how much GM Finanace has on its books for this car... correct
JohnQAttorney : There is the potential that the debt was paid.
JohnQAttorney : Sometimes a lender will not send a release or the release is not properly filed.
Customer: How would I find that out?
JohnQAttorney : The only way to know is to request an accounting from the lender.
JohnQAttorney : You would contact the creditor.
Customer: Since americredit went through all the stuff it did in 2010 and GMC I will be amazed if they ahve any good records of this
JohnQAttorney : Normally, such records would be maintained.
JohnQAttorney : Obtaining those records should not be a problem.
Customer: OK
JohnQAttorney : The first step is to research the debt.
Customer: I only have the VIN and her name and address
JohnQAttorney : That will tell you if the lender is in error and whether a release should have been provided.
JohnQAttorney : The lender may require a death certificate to speak with you.
Customer: Through the lender? I feel like I am offering them a carrot
JohnQAttorney : If you want a release, the only way is via the lien holder.
JohnQAttorney : That is the lender.
Customer: I have the death certificate and I was the only child
JohnQAttorney : They may repossess the vehicle if the loan is in default and they learn of the location.
JohnQAttorney : That is, if you cannot pay any outstanding debt.
Customer: I can really see how this is a step of faith
JohnQAttorney : Alternatively, you cannot sell the vehicle with a lien in place.
JohnQAttorney : That is why lenders use these liens to secure the loans.
Customer: so.... junk it
JohnQAttorney : If you suspect the debt was paid, contacting the lender is necessary to obtain a release.
Customer: I could get a Tax break for this if I give it to good will that was my plan
JohnQAttorney : They likely will not take it if there is a lien. The would be obligated to contact the lien holder to salvage the car and cannot resell with the lien
JohnQAttorney : Before a vehicle can be scrapped, the lien holder would be contacted.
Customer: OK... so to get it moved .... one way or the other...... Contact the lein holder and cut some kind of deal... DO I have any leverage here?
JohnQAttorney : The value of the vehicle including for donation purposes would be after one subtracts any funds owed to a lien holder.
JohnQAttorney : If a vehicle lacks value and a debt is deemed unrecoverable, they are likely to work with the current holder of the vehicle.
Customer: 2001 Checy Astro with 200,000 miles.... Big Value??
JohnQAttorney : They may work with you on that matter given the lack of value in the collateral.
Customer: I would have thought they would have writen this off of there books some time back
JohnQAttorney : That does not stop collection or impact whether the title is clear
Customer: I see... Mana from heaven if you are the lien holder
JohnQAttorney : For movable personal property, lenders need a secure means to collect such a debt.
JohnQAttorney : Otherwise, they would not be willing to loan such funds.
Customer: I do understand.... But the time frame is what I have a problem with
Customer: Not our issue
JohnQAttorney : The lien does not go away unfortunately. Yes, it is tough in your situation. There is a good chance they will work with you to reach a resolution.
Customer: I really don't want them showing up at my house and repoing this thing.
JohnQAttorney : You are not obligated to give your address when talking with them.
Customer: Would you advise email or call
Customer: OK
JohnQAttorney : Typically, a consumer would call first and then write a follow-up letter via the mail, with confirmation of receipt.
Customer: I guess that covers the issue. Great job on your part
JohnQAttorney : Any other questions right now?
Customer: No... but sincerely XXXXX XXXXX Excellent job on your part.. This online support thing can and is tricky
JohnQAttorney : Before you go...Will you be so kind as to leave a positive service rating?I would greatly appreciate it.I rely on excellent ratings and optional bonuses to provide this service.Thank you and please have a great dayYou will see an option to leave the rating on your screen.
JBaxLaw, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 11319
Experience: Wide experience in consumer rights law.
JBaxLaw and 3 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Law Pro's Avatar

    Law Pro


    Satisfied Customers:

    20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    16 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of private practice
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 14 years experience in various consumer protection areas

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions

Chat Now With A Consumer Protection Lawyer
760 Satisfied Customers
Wide experience in consumer rights law.