How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask LegalGems Your Own Question

LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 3729
Experience:  Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I hired a contractor to do some work. He always

Resolved Question:

My husband and I hired a contractor to do some work. He always addressed us together, in letters as well. On the contract my name was not listed therefore I did not get a chance to sign. I learned I never would have later for the contract was heavily in the contractors favor. Can I nullify by being 1/2 of the couple who hired him but did not sign the contract?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

LegalGems : Hi! LegalGems here. My goal: To Do My Best To Assist You. Please remember, I can only provide general information,as this is a public forum.
LegalGems : That is an interesting question - let me check into something briefly.
Customer: ok
LegalGems : Unfortunately, the contract would still be binding against the spouse that signed the document. I'm looking into something; one moment please.
LegalGems : Are you aware that in your state there is a complaint process, and even a compensatory fund, for home improvement customers?
Customer: Yes but he may or may not have been licensed threfore we cant even get to that. I am trying to figure out how to file a police report where they would consider it criminal. The guy took 35K and did NO work.
Customer: Do you have any advice on how to get a cop to want to file something criminally?
LegalGems : $35K? According to the state, this would need to be a licensed contractor that provided this work. The licensing board may be interested in going after him for operating without a license - many agencies try to protect the integrity of their state's contractors.
LegalGems : Are you a senior?
LegalGems : Please see: Anyone who performs improvements on residential property (single- or multiple-family dwellings of six units or less, condos or co-ops), when the individual job exceeds $200 and when the cash price of all work performed in one year exceeds $1,000 is considered a home improvement contractor and must register in order to legally operate in the state. located at:|.
Customer: No, my husband is just dumb
LegalGems : No; the reason I was asking is because there is elder financial exploitation, and this is an extra layer of caution provided for seniors (and I understand the sentiment, having one myself!)
Customer: The lawyer said something which confuses me, there are two licenses listed on the cont. website. It seems like one was still in effect while the other lapsed. I guess that means he was covered?
LegalGems : You may be able to get him for criminal fraud but I'm really not familiar with criminal law.
Customer: I know about the elder policies
LegalGems : Yes, if one was still in effect, then the fund should be available to you. Did you file a complaint with the state?
Customer: ok
Customer: Not yet because everyone keeps saying the police will treat it as a civil matter, almost everytime except in extrordinary circumstances. I want to know what those are.
Customer: before filing
LegalGems : Here's the website to check an online license (second link):
LegalGems : Criminal fraud generally requires proof of intent to never perform; whereas civil fraud can be more of a serious misrepresentation (intent to induce a party to enter a contract). Personally, I have seen police get involved only when it involves a senior.
Customer: I ran this by my lawyer a few times and he doesnt seem too interested in oersuing that avenue. I assume he's found a reason why it wont work. but I will check your website.
Customer: I see.
Customer: Maybe it would help that most people in my town are seniors and we want to protect them from him, yes?
Customer: Anyhow you have been helpful, thank you for your time.
LegalGems : You would likely need to find a senior victim. If he used mail/phone then that generally elevates the crime committed (but again, I'm not personally familiar with criminal law).
LegalGems : You are welcome. If you don't get anywhere with the state agency, you can always file - a headache; but for $35K definitely worth the hassle.
Customer: ok thanks
LegalGems : I did some quick research and criminal fraud appears to be more along the lines of insurance fraud, Embezzlement, forgery, unemployment/tax fraud, welfare fraud, credit card fraud, wire/mail fraud - so theoretically you may have a case in the last group if mail was used - but realistically the police would probably defer, since they are probably inundated with the aforementioned types of fraud.
LegalGems : And you are welcome - hope you resolve this quickly, with full restitution.
LegalGems, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 3729
Experience: Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator
LegalGems and 2 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer


    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Law Pro's Avatar

    Law Pro


    Satisfied Customers:

    20 years experience in consumer advocacy, debt collection violations, contracts, construction
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    16 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    25 years of private practice
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 14 years experience in various consumer protection areas

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions

Chat Now With A Consumer Protection Lawyer
Attorney; Mediator
1007 Satisfied Customers
Research Attorney; Private Practice; Attorney Mentor; Mediator