Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Can I sell an ATV in the state of Wisconsin before the loan

Can I sell an ATV in the state of Wisconsin before the loan is paid off? IE, I would like to sell the ATV and then use the money to pay off the loan.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Alex J. Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

Is there lien on the title of the ATV by the lender of the loan?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know off-hand. Any suggestions as to where I could find this information? Thank you.
Do you have a title to the SUV?

Were you ever issued a title for this suv?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't believe I've ever been given one. It's an ATV, so I don't believe ATVs have titles in WI. Not sure.
Thank you for your folllow up.

Did you ever register your ATV?

How was this ATV financed?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes, it is registered. It's financed through a credit union.
Thank you for your follow up.

Do you know if the credit union did record any type of the lien related to the ATV or to the registration?

Does your purschase and sale agreement for the ATV or finacing agreement state that the credit union has placed a lien on the ATV?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I looked through all the paperwork that I have and I can't even so much as find the word "title". I can't find anything regarding a lien. I'm really not sure.
Thank you for your follow up.

I double checked the laws, and it does appear that titles are not issued for ATV in Wisconsin, but rather your proof or ownership would be your registration for the ATV, which would have to be transferred to the new owner and also your original purchase agreement.

The best thing to do, is to contact your credit union and to inquire whether they have a lien on your ATV and if they do, then you would either have to pay off the ATV loan before you sell it and obtain a lien release letter or you can have the buyer make a payment right at the credit union with you and this way the buyer would get the lien release letter on the spot when he makes a payment for the ATV.

If there the Credit Union does not have a lien on the ATV, then you can sell it and payoff the loan.

I wish you the best of luck!
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience: Experienced Licensed Attorney