How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask cfortunato Your Own Question
cfortunato, Lawyer
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience:  Areas of practice: Landlord/Tenant, Bankruptcy, Consumer Debt
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
cfortunato is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a letter via certified mail today from Zwicker and

This answer was rated:

I received a letter via certified mail today from Zwicker and Associates, the letter comes with a "Plaintiff's Motion for default judgement, which reads:

1. This suit was filed on or about March 6, 2013. Defendant was served on ore about March 16,2013. The citation was returned to the clerk where it has remained on file for the time required by law. Defendant has not filed or served upon Plaintiff's counsel any answer to the petition.

These statements are totally untrue, this is the first time I receive any papers from Zwicker and Associates in regards XXXXX XXXXX credit card account with American Express.
I was not served papers on or about March 16, 2013.

What should I do? Can the court approve the judgement even though I was never served papers in or around March 16?

Please advise,


Customer: Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.
Customer: The court cannot issue a default judgment if you have not been served the court papers. However, since the plaintiff (Zwicker) claimed you were served, the court does not know that you were not served.
Customer: What you have to do is to go to the clerk at the court in question, and ask to file a response to the Motion for Default Judgment - based on the fact that you never received the court papers.
Customer: You can also ask that the case be dismissed for the same reason (that you were never served the court papers).
JACUSTOMER-jxwcum0t- : Thank you! I am working on the response to the Motion for Default Judgment.
You're welcome!
cfortunato, Lawyer
Satisfied Customers: 8023
Experience: Areas of practice: Landlord/Tenant, Bankruptcy, Consumer Debt
cfortunato and 5 other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks Chris.
I have typed the letter and this is what I have, please notice I am not including the case no., court no, plaintiff and defendant names for obvious reasons.
Here it goes:

Defendant’s Answer to Motion for Default Judgment.


My name is XXXXX XXXXX am the Defendant in this Case.

1. Defendant denies allegations contained in Paragraph 1 of Plaintiff’s Motion for Default Judgment. Defendant denies knowledge of the alleged suit filed on or about March 6, 2013. Defendant denies being served on or about March 16, 2013.

2. I deny receiving any written communication or validation of the alleged debt from Zwicker & Associates, Attorneys at Law filing this suit for the plaintiff. The defendant lacks information sufficient to admit or deny the allegations contained in Paragraph 2 of Plaintiff’s Motion for Default Judgment, therefore they are denied.

3. I am a military member of the U.S. Armed Forces. My husband is a member of the U.S. Army currently on duty.

4. I admit my current address is _________________

Defendant, ________________, respectfully XXXXX XXXXX Court to DISMISS the Motion for Default Judgment against Defendant submitted by Plaintiff, AMERICAN EXPRESS CENTURION BANK based on the fact that Defendant has not received copy of the alleged suit.

Respectfully submitted,

By: ______________________
Defendant's Name
City, ST, Zipcode
Phone #

Certificate of Service
I certify that on the 22 day of May, 2013, I served a true copy of this Answer to all parties in this case. I sent the Answer by certified mail return receipt requested. If a party is represented by an attorney I sent the Answer to the parties’ attorney.

Defendant's name

Does it sound good? Please advise. thanks!
I am nervous.

Everything looks good except:
At the top where you wrote "Defendant’s Answer to Motion for Default Judgment", it should instead read "Defendant's Answer to Motion for Default Judgment and Defendant's Motion to Dismiss". ("Defendant's Motion to Dismiss" should be added.)Also, at the bottom, the reason for requesting that the lawsuit be dismissed is not because you did not receive a copy of the lawsuit - it is because you were not served the court papers. (Not receiving the court papers is not enough for dismissal - it is necessary that you did not receive notice of the lawsuit because you were not served.) Try not to be nervous! These papers do not have to be perfect, and they rarely are.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you so much for your answer.
I made the changes that you suggested and I am gonna file it today.

One more question:
I have been able to negotiate and settle 6 other debt accounts and I feel really happy about it, however I have a Discover Credit card balance of $3,500 that I haven't been able to settle. It is with Zwicker & Assoc as well. They would no accept anything but 80% of the debt paid immediately by phone without providing a written agreement. They want me to give them my bank account information without providing any written agreement with terms and conditions. I am tired of them, they are rude, bully and are causing me so much stress, so I finally told them not to call me again and to communicate with me in writing only via certified mail.

I read online last night that I can send a collection agency a letter saying that I want to work out a plan directly with the original creditor. This a sample of the wording for the letter:

"This letter is to request that your collection agency not contact me in order to collect payments on the above mentioned account. I am interested in working out a plan with the original creditor regarding my payments.
I hereby request that your collection agency stop collection efforts immediately. Your non-compliance with this request will put you in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and my state's consumer protection laws."

My question to you is:
Is this true? Can I request to work out a settlement plan directly with Discover. Please advise.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer

Related Consumer Protection Law Questions