Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years experience in general legal matters.

Team, I purchased a vehicle online "ebay" three weeks ago

I purchased a vehicle online "ebay" three weeks ago and contracted with a company

Avl transporters to transport the vehicle from Ohio to Arkansas. The contract i signed states that I can cancel the contracr if they had not pick up the vehicle in 14 business days. it has been 14 business days as of Friday. If I cancel I will forfeit $100.00 for them listing the vehicle/admin fee.

The person that I made the contract with will not answer my e-mail and the dispatcher keep telling me it should be picked up i a couple of days. I have been hearing a coupld of days since 23 April.

I believe they may be doing this to thousands of people: Not picking up the vehicle within a requitred time and making $100.00.

Should I contcat he BBB and let Avl Transporters know that I will contact the BBB to light a little fire under them or should I just eat the $100.00 loss?

Thank you for using JustAnswer. I am JudgeLaw and I will do whatever I can to answer your question and provide you excellent service.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you.

This is a common scam. Online threads show that this scam has been going on for over 18 months, in states all over the country, and it is still going right now. Here are a few warning signs to watch out for if you’re planning to make a purchase of an ATV, tractor, motorcycle, car, or any other vehicle via Craigslist, Ebay, etc.:

If you are unable to take a look at the vehicle before purchase
If the vehicle is being sold below market value
If they ask for you to pay before you even have the vehicle, or have seen it
There’s a grace period for you to test the care and make a decision
Vehicle is located in a state different from the one advertised in on Craigslist or Ebay
If you are in the market for a vehicle, make an in-state purchase, or avoid doing it on Craigslist or Ebay all together. If you find an ad and the correspondence you have seems too good to be true, then it probably is.

The transaction you describe seems to fit the above described scam profile.

In all likelihood, there is no vehicle and you have lost $100. You should report it to Ebay and to the FBI at

I am sorry. I realize this is not the answer you were hoping for. As a professional, however, I am sometimes placed in the position of having to deliver news which is not favorable to a customer's position, but accurately reflects their position under the facts presented. I hate it, but it happens and I ask that you not penalize me for having to deliver less than favorable news.

It has been my privilege to assist you. Let me know if you need further assistance.  I hope I have helped you beyond your expectations in the service I have provided to you.  I am here for you.

Please remember to rate my answer when our communication is completed so I will be compensated for my time in providing you with the information you requested.

If you feel the need to provide a low rating, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY button with whatever issue or clarification you may need. I will happily answer your follow-up questions and assist you until I am able to explain the answer to your satisfaction. Please also remember that I cannot control whether the law is favorable to your situation, so please do not penalize me for having to deliver bad news.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have not had a problem with the dealer where I purchased the vehicle. The problem is with the shipping company. Avl Transporters company. They have not pickied up the vehicle and I will be charged $100.00 to cancel the contract. How should I proceed?

Do you have the vehicle in your possession?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The vehicle is not in my possession. The dealer where I purchased the vehicle is waiting for the transportation company to pick it up.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The vehicle is not in my possession. The dealer (Cleveland Ohio) where I purchased the vehicle is waiting for the transportation company to pick it up.

This still sounds like a scam to me. It just does not pass the "smell" test. No one gives someone located out of state possession of a motor vehicle for $100. It is just too risky.

Even though I am positive that there is no car being delivered to you, I believe you should notify both the transport company and the "dealer" that you are canceling the contract. If you have lost $100 then you have gotten off cheaply in comparison to most of the other vehicle scams we get questions about on a daily basis.

I am sorry, but this is a scam and they are trying to steal your money.

Have you paid them for the vehicle?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The question is about the transportation company "only" not picking up the vehicle. Yes, I paid for the vehicle and the dealship is waiting for the transportation company to pick up the vehicle.

Thank you for the clarification.

If the dealership arranged the transportation then I would pressure them to follow up with their agent. They are likely to have more "pull" with the shipper if it is someone they do business with. You can threaten to cancel the transaction if the vehicle is not delivered in the agreed time. Losing a sale is frightening to a car dealer. Nor does the loss of the deposit apply because the dealer is in breach. The BBB is not likely to scare either the dealer or shipper.

What will motivate them is a consumer complaint to the Ohio Attorney General's Office at the following link: