Alex J. Esq.
Alex J. Esq., Attorney at Law
Experience:  Experienced Licensed Attorney
26296561

Hi there, I was just contacted by an American debt collector

Hi there, I was just contacted by an American debt collector regarding a debt from Denmark. I've not heard from any company about this debt since January 6 1998. Is this debt too old to collect? And can I have this debt canceled according to laws in the state of MD?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be happy to answer your question.

I am sorry to hear about this unfortunate situation.

While the creditor in Denmark can hire an American debt collector to attempt to collect a debt that was accrued overseas, the court in the US would lack jurisdiction over such debt, since it took place in Denmark and any lawsuit would have to be filed against you in Denmark and would be governed by the laws of the Denmark.

Also the statute of limitations only apply to filing of a lawsuit and not to general collection of a debt.

I wish you the best of luck.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

But doesn't the collector here in the US have to follow the rules/laws when it comes to debt collection in case they accept the transfer from where ever the debt origins from? I mean if a debt collector didnt make an effort to contact me for more than 15 years wouldn't that be considered Time barred debt? Or is your answer that I have to pursue the legal answer in Denmark?

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your follow up.

I think I understand the confusion.

While the statute of limitations has expired under Maryland law to file a lawsuit for the debt which occurred in 1998, it does not preclude other collection efforts, aside from filing the lawsuit, so the debt collector is not breaking any laws by contacting you, but if the debt collector hires an attorney in Maryland to sue you for this debt, not only you would be able to assert that the court doesn't have jurisdiction over this debt from another country, but also you will be able to file a motion to dismiss based on the statute of limitations that has long expired.

I wish you the best of luck!