Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
10285032

I bought a 2011 jeep cherokee that had no msrp sticker is this

I bought a 2011 jeep cherokee that had no msrp sticker is this still a legal deal by law ?
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking.

Failure to provide the Monroney Sticker only on new vehicles as provided by law results in a $1000 fine per car that is found on their lot. If you report this to the DMV, dealer licensing unit, they can be fined for not providing the Monroney sticker for your new vehicle.

Thank you so much for using JustAnswer.com. I truly aim to please you as a customer, but please keep in mind that I do not know what you already know or don't know, or with what you need help, unless you tell me. If I did not answer the question you thought you were asking, please respond with the specific question you wanted answered. PLEASE use REPLY to EXPERT if you would like more information or if you feel something was not included in your answer.

Kindly remember the ONLY WAY experts receive any credit at all for spending time with customers is if you click on OK, GOOD or EXCELLENT SERVICE even though you have made a deposit or are a subscription customer. YOU MUST COMPLETE THE RATING FOR THE EXPERT TO XXXXX CREDIT, if not the site keeps your money on deposit.

Also remember, sometimes the law does not support what we want it to support, but that is not the fault of the person answering the question, so please be courteous.

PLEASE NOTE WELL WE ARE DEALING WITH LAWS OF 50 STATES PLUS FEDERAL LAWS, AS WELL AS DEALING WITH OTHER CUSTOMERS, SO PLEASE BE PATIENT AND BE ASSURED YOU ARE NOT BEING IGNORED.

There can also be a delay of an hour or more in between my answers because I may be taking a break.

You can always request me through my profile at http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-paulmjd/ or beginning your question with “For PaulMJD…”

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still want to know if they commted a criminal act ,then how can deal be un crimnal and legal?

Thank you for your response.

This is not "criminal" it is a violation of the civil consumer protection laws and it is enforced by the DMV. The Texas DMV states the following:

When a franchised dealer displays vehicles for sale, the Monroney Sticker must be displayed on the vehicle. Failure to do so will subject the dealer to possible state and federal civil penalties.

4.7 Used Cars - “As is” Buyers Guides. The Federal Trade Commission’s Used Car Rule requires dealers to post a Buyers Guide – known as an “as is” sticker – on every used vehicle displayed for sale, including consignment vehicles. Failure to provide the buyer's guide will subject the dealer to possible state and federal civil penalties
.

It is a civil violation and you can use that to negotiate to rescind the sale with the seller and if they refuse you can file a complaint with the Texas DMV and the Federal Trade Commission.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience: Attorney experienced in commercial litigation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Paul ,i was made aware of smeone eises name was recordedas the owner by way of a vip summary report submitted by the jeep dealer in town . i bought the vehicle from an out of town dealer. on july 22, 2011 .I got the report august 26 2011.At that date i sent notice of my discovery and asked them to recind the deal . Since then i have had the car repooed ,td finance reported to credit bure iam sorry please excuse my awkward writing, any way my credit is ruined scres in the 500,s and td wants 19 20-000 what do you advice i shoulddo. Your last answer was in line with my thinking I would be happy to pay you a resonable amount for advice on what to approach td or car dealer and get more run around or go to dmv and reort all this.

Thank you for your new question.

You need to report all of this to the DMV, since the dealer is supposed to properly register the car in your name and it is supposed to be registered in your name. Since the car dealer is giving you the run around I would suggest no longer dealing with them and reporting them to the DMV auto dealer license unit and also to the Federal Trade Commission as once they begin pursuing the dealers, many times the dealers become more cooperative in negotiating a resolution to get you to withdraw your complaints so they can avoid the penalties and fines.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer