Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Lawyer

My husband and I were pressured into buying a timeshare unit

My husband and I were pressured into buying a timeshare unit during our Hawaii vacation. The contract clearly stated I had 7 days to cancel the contract if we changed our mind. The next day, we did just that. Within 3 days of signing the purchase order, I sent an email to the sales rep and her employer, and also mailed a hard copy letter to the Hawaiian agency in charge of processing these cancellations.

Do these steps actually cancel this ill-advised purchase, or are there other steps I need to take to get out of the timeshare?

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If the contract states that the contract may be canceled within 7 days, then sending the email and the letter should be sufficient. Double check the contract to see if it states that you have to cancel in a specific way. If it does, they are allowed to insist upon that particular method of cancellation.

You may also want to send another letter, via certified mail (or overnight delivery, depending on how much time you have left) so you have proof that they received it. That way, if they try to claim that you owe them money, you'll have evidence showing that you do not.

If you have any questions or concerns about what I've written, please reply so that I may address them. It's important to me that you are 100% satisfied with the service I provide. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so that I get credit for answering your question. Thank you.