How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask N Cal Attorney Your Own Question

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Satisfied Customers: 8628
Experience:  since 1983
Type Your Consumer Protection Law Question Here...
N Cal Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This question requires legal advice from an attorney familiar

Resolved Question:

This question requires legal advice from an attorney familiar with the Santa Monica Rent Control ordinances.

I live in an apartment on a rent-controlled floor of a 7-year-old, urban Santa Monica apartment property. A unit on that floor has been leased to a company that seems to provide temporary executive residency. This company apparently rents at the current legal rate (approximately $2,400) and charges a monthly rent upwards of $5,500 to its clients.

I've been very interested in this 1 Bedroom unit since I first became aware of it nearly a year ago. I'm currently in a 2 Bedroom and need to downsize as I prepare to retire.

Please advise if the property owner/management has violated any aspect of the ordinances by effectively removing a rent-controlled unit from the market and, in all likelihood, receiving compensation beyond the legislated rental rate.


Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Consumer Protection Law
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
states that a sublessor is a landlord, so my opinion is that the sublessor is charging an illegal rent to the tenants in the unit you mentioned, and the landlord may be jointly liable with the sublessor for knowingly allowing that to happen.

The complaint form is posted at

The contact information for the Board is:
City of Santa Monica
Rent Control Department
1685 Main St., Rm 202
Santa Monica, CA 90401

You can get a free consultation from some of the local attorneys listed at

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

PLEASE NOTE: the provided complaint link is expired and the phone number is XXXXX The the other link contains useless information.


I have no proof. I have statements made by a representative of lessee and both a personal, and later, private phone conversation with a high-level executive of the property management company.


What substantiation is required by me to leverage this information into immediate action and possible financial remedy for 11 months of paying a higher rent in an apartment I've compromised my budget to afford?


Do you feel filing a complaint is the quickest and most direct conduit for receiving timely relief? Or, should I entertain hiring an attorney to leverage this experience into a quick hearing and solution?



Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
I am sorry, that link worked when I posted it. It was linked from
and the Board will have hard copies of blank petitions.

Yes I agree you should consult a local attorney prior to taking any action.

The phone number(NNN) NNN-NNNNis not disconnected, I just tried it and got a recording from the Rent Board about the hours it is open. You may have mis-dialed the number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Interesting. My "recent calls" list on my phone shows that I dialed that exact phone number this afternoon and I definitely got a recording informing me that the number was disconnected. But, it does work now. So, my apologies.


The link also works, though I'm not certain what form to file or what outcome I might expect. I'm simply looking to leverage my position to GET THAT APARTMENT.


One last question and I'll let this go: the sublessor is furnishing the apartment. That simply includes a small table and chairs; bed and dresser; television and couch. Could the the sublessor rightfully claim that this amenity has increased the value of the lease – even by 250-percent? That would stymie any chance I might have to move them into a corner. The property management has already indicated they would speak to the sublessor and see if they wouldn't mind moving up a floor (a non rent control floor) thus freeing the lease. However, they said that in early afternoon and I never heard anything back.





Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
Can you check with the Rent Board to determine the lawful rents on each unit in the building? It would be unusual for the same building to have units that are and other units that are not under the rent control ordinance.

I do not believe that just placing a few items of furniture would justify a rent increase of the magnitude you described, but the Rent Board can answer that question with greater certainty than I can.
N Cal Attorney, Attorney
Satisfied Customers: 8628
Experience: since 1983
N Cal Attorney and other Consumer Protection Law Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  N Cal Attorney replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for accepting my answer.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Infolawyer



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
< Last | Next >
  • Infolawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Licensed attorney helping individuals and businesses.
  • Ely's Avatar


    Counselor at Law

    Satisfied Customers:

    Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
  • Tina's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    17 years legal experience including consumer protection law.
  • Barrister's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney with 15 years experience in various consumer protection areas
  • P. Simmons's Avatar

    P. Simmons


    Satisfied Customers:

    16+ yrs. of legal experience.
  • Andrea, Esq.'s Avatar

    Andrea, Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    25 yrs. of experience in employment law, real estate and business law, family law, criminal defense and immigration.
  • LADY LAWYER's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Consumer Lawyer