cfortunato
cfortunato, Lawyer
Experience:  Areas of practice: Landlord/Tenant, Bankruptcy, Consumer Debt
14232603

I owe a hospital over $3000. for a recent surgery. I am on

I owe a hospital over $3000. for a recent surgery. I am on disability with a limited income. I told them the most I can pay is $50.00 a mo, they said the minimum they can accept is $150. a mo or it goes to collection. So they refused what I offered to pay. What if anything can I do?

cfortunato :

Hi - my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm a Consumer Protection attorney here to assist you.

cfortunato :

Although you cannot "force" the hospital to accept the amount that you can afford to pay, and you cannot stop them from putting your account into collection, there is nothing the collection agency can to do you if you do not own valuable assets and if your only source of income is disability.

cfortunato :

As disability income is completely exempt (protected) from collection for this type of debt.

Customer:

Will this in any way effect future visits to this hospital

cfortunato :

Do you have Medicare?

Customer:

yes but it only covers 80% I just applied for MA health benifits but they won't cover previous bills. I should get approved but don't know for sure

cfortunato :

If you have Medicare, the hospital cannot refuse to treat you based on the fact that you have an outstanding bill.

Customer:

ok thank you very much for your time and help, I appreciate it very much

cfortunato :

You're welcome!