Jack R.
Jack R., Lawyer
Experience:  Court Mediator, foreclosure attorney

I bought a used car for cash and now find out that there is

I bought a used car for cash and now find out that there is a lien holder on the title, what are my options?

Thank you for choosing just answer.

-Could you explain your situation a little more?

Did you purchase the vehicle privately or from a dealer ?

How much is still owed on the vehicle (lien amount)

This will help me evaluate your situation.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

bought from private third party, don't now the amount owed

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.

Sorry for the delay. I did respond to your question but your relist erased the response.

You should contact the owner of the vehicle and demand that he pay off the lien on the vehicle. You should make sure all communication is written as well as verbal. If the owner will not satisfy the lien then you will need to take legal action against the owner.

Your first step after determining the owner will not cooperate is contact the lien holder and determine what if anything is due on the vehicle. It could be the lien has been paid and the paperwork for release of lien has not been processed.

If there is a lien amount on the vehicle you will need to file suit against the owner for the lien balance. You can also file suit asking that the transaction be reversed e.g. prior owner gets the car you get your money. Depending on the amount this can probably be handled in small claims:

There may be additional legal action if the owner represented the car as having clear title when sold. His actions of selling the car to you would be indicative of fraud.

It is important that you get the lien situation resolved to ensure the lien holder does not repossess the vehicle.

If you found this answer useful please press the appropriate

e quality of service button of 3 or greater. This is needed so I can get credit for my answer. If you have follow up questions please ask.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship.Information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information.