LawHelpNow, Attorney/Lawyer
Experience:  Relax. Let's work together. Practical solutions.

I have viewed pornography on line and always goes to say websites

I have viewed pornography on line and always goes to say websites like hamster, most all have literally thousands of videos. I never am searching for child porn. Never once have I saved or downloaded any porn to my harddrive, just view it. Last night I was viewing porn on I believe a sight called porn for women and looking at all adult porn and I get a Dept of Justice issuance and they outlines I looked at child porn back on December 5th. Possibly, one of the thousands of videos these sights have may have a someone 16 or 17 on it but I just don't know. I don't search for child porn. Anyway it said if you paid a $300 fine through a money pac within 48 you could avoid prosecution and would allow the computer to be unlocked. It also said future occurrences would not allow to do this. Being scared to death I did this. Of course money pac has all my information like social, name, address, etc. Now I think I may have been tricked or lead into doing this. Again, there is nothing as far as any saved pornography in my computer. I just surfed the web in the usual sights where literally thousands of video are together under same type of porn site name. I am literally scared to death. How can they put the camera on me on my computer on March 22nd and say back in December I looked at porn that had a minor. Please advise what should I do. Should I get a lawyer now, if so, I want somebody who has dealt with this, where do I find someone, should like destroy the computer, I thought maybe not having ever saved anything on it, ability to show 99.9% of any porn I did watch was adults only and no minors and never chatted with anybody, tried to solicit anybody, never paid a nickel, etc. Can you advise me?

Hello Richard,

My name isXXXXX a licensed attorney. Glad to try and help out.

Sure sorry for your circumstances, truly. My heart goes out to you.

Accordingly, I'm pleased to share some good news with you, as follows. Nothing you've described is one bit unlawful, period. Rather, you've been the unfortunate victim of a scam. The notice you received did not come from the U.S. Department of Justice or any other bona fide law enforcement agency. It's an attempt at extortion, and it (not the web browsing you've described) is the crime here.

This is an excellent overview:

United States Department of Justice Virus Removal

I can't tell you how may times I've received similar inquiries, almost always quoting the $300 figure, so I hope this affords you some peace of mind.

If you have a follow-up question or need clarification, please just say the word by using "reply" to reach me.

I truly hope all works out for you.

Take care,

Ben, J.D.

Hello Richard,

I enjoyed working with you recently.

How are things going?

Is there anything else I can do to help?

Please just let me know.

Ben, J.D.