Dylatess, Lawyer
Experience:  36 plus years consumer law practice

I invested in a band an wanted 2 have a memorial concert in

I invested in a band an wanted 2 have a memorial concert in my wife honer paid out almost 60,000 to this band member 2 pay bands. concert never went on have a contract that is a couple years old. he is not paying me back and i been told you cant sue if they have nothing. I understand not getting it all up front but he could be making payments. I have emails and signed contracts.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer. For over 32 years, I have answered questions just like yours. And I look forward to assisting you. What a nice gesture for your wife. So sorry the concert never happened.
Note, under Maryland law, you have four years from the date of the writen contract or the date the concert was to take place, or the date of last payment received, which ever is longer. So you may be ok in suing. But like you said, the real problem is ever collecting. but if you do not collect, if you at least have a court judgement, you can use that loss against your taxes that you may owe to the IRS as a 100 perent write off. Accordingly, I would meet with a consumer attorney who may want to take the case on a contingency. If he does not, he may still assist you in suing. And once you have the judgement, give it to your accountant for your 2013 tax returns.

If I have answered your question, please rate my answer as ok or better so that I am compensated. Thanks.